Backup and Recovery of the System HD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by arguros, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arguros

arguros Registered Member

Hi,

I am using Paragon HD manager to backup and recover my system HD.
    The source HD is

System Active Partition (100GB 40GB Used)
    Extend Partition
    Valume A
    Volume B

I need to restore the system partion on a new target HD with a different partion structure
    ex

System Active Partion
    Extended
    Volume A (some data in it)
    Volume B
    Volume C

My question are

1) For the Back up of the source HD do I need to select MBR and First Sector in the backup options?
    2) do I need to restore the MBR and first Sector to the target HD? If so, will I loose data?
    3) Can the target System Active Partition be greater than original system partition data size ( 40GB ) and and less than original partition capacity? (100 GB)
    4) While restoring will I loose date on the Volume A,B,C partition.

THanks

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

1) Not necessarily, but it is advisable - so, yes backup the MBR .

2) Not necessarily, but it is advisable. You will not lose data by restoring the MBR/First track.

3)Yes, it can be. However, it will be quicker and easier to shrink the original 100gb partition so that it is smaller than the Target. Then create an image of it.

4) If you restore an image to a partition - then all the data currently on that partition will be lost.

Hope it helps.

3. arguros

Thank for the answers.

In point 2) If restore the original MBR / first track, will
    a) the target hd partitioning (the 3 volumes) be equal to the source HD (converted into 2)
    b) target partition will not change

thanks

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Restoring the MBR only restores the executable code - the partition table entries remain as they are - you will still have 3 partitions.

When you restore a backup image -

You get the option of restoring it as the same size as the original source ( if the Target is larger than the source , that leaves any excess as Unallocated space).

Or, you can expand the restored partition up to the available size of the Target partition.

The partition table will then be updated to reflect the new partition sizes you created during the restore.

Hope it helps.

5. arguros

Thanks
    Fairly clear now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.