Backup and Recovery 15 - Saves to Virtual Disk (VD)?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bbriley, Dec 9, 2014.

1. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

I have used Backup and Recovery versions for years, but something is very different with version 15 - Instead of backing up my C:\ drive via compressed archives to my external USB hard drive, it says it will back it up to a "virtual drive container." I don't know what that is, nor do I know if it is a Windows feature (I have windows 8.1) or a Linux feature (to use with the Linux recovery disk). Can someone give me a little guidance here? For example, can I build a VD container on my external USB hard drive with Windows?

Thanks for any help!

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

VHD is a new thing, smaller back up size. If you still want to use the older file type back up, click on upper right corner Tool icon, Select Ribbon Features for legacy features.

After a while I supposed, VHD will be the only option.

3. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

That did the trick! Thank you. I used the legacy archive option. Is there any advantage to using VHD? And if so, could I set up that VHD in my regular FAT 32 formatted external hard drive, in a windows backup folder?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Please note that the generic name of the new format is "VD" (Virtual Container). To create a backup, you have to choose a specific format from the several available. The default is PVHD, which is a modification of the MS VHD format, which you can also use. Unless you have particular needs related to virtualization, you should always use PVHD, because it supports compression and you can validate the backups.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.