BACKUP Acronis 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by izzy, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izzy

izzy Registered Member

Hey,

I'm using Acronis to do daily backups of small business server. Works great but two concerns.

1) Every day it creates one more file. So by now we have 90 of them. What do I do with them? Is there a way to tell Acronis to delete some before it run out of space?

2) For some reason Acronis is not backuping every 1-2 months. Says some kind of error.

Thanks,

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

You can look at using the Secure Zone which will give you the basic functionality you are looking at - but this means you will need to create a dedicated Secure Zone partition using ATI on your backup machine. Also, you cannot see what backups you have, unless you use True Image. However depending on your constraints this solution will likely work for you.

Assuming the reason you have so many backups is because you are using incrementals then there is another option. You can orphan them all by occaisionally creating a full backup. Any incrementals created after that will be based on the new full image and the old ones will be gradually rewritten.

If you want to avoid the situation where immediately after creation of a full you only have one backup, you can use multiple overlapping schedules in separate subdirectories. This link shows one way to have a rolling month of daily backups for example :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=846178&postcount=4

You are not going to get much help with "Some kind of error". You need to supply more details/logs etc.

F.

3. izzy

izzy Registered Member

foghorne,

Assuming the reason you have so many backups is because you are using incrementals then there is another option. You can orphan them all by occaisionally creating a full backup. Any incrementals created after that will be based on the new full image and the old ones will be gradually rewritten.

This is what I need. Thanks!

Now, if I create an automated task to create a full backup (ex, mybackup) then would it overwrite the previous or continue to create versions (ex, mybackup1, mybackup2, etc)?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello izzy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, it will overwrite the previous full backup.

I would also like to mention that you can limit the amount of backups created by Acronis True Image in four different ways described in this previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.