backlog of backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mortee, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortee

mortee Registered Member

Hello, I'm just starting to use TrueImage to take daily system backups. Can someone suggest a (preferred?) method to always keep at least a week's worth of incremental snapshots of my data? If I just schedule a weekly full backup with daily incrementals, then just after the weekly run, I'll only have the latest state.

I'm wondering if this is possible using the software's own scheduler. I.e. without using an external one to invoke a script which rotates the old full+incrementals, and then invokes TI to do the new full backup. Is there a way to achieve this within TI?

thx

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

If your backup is to Acronis Secure Zone you can schedule a weekly backup and daily incrementals and achieve what you are looking for quite simply without any external scripts. You just need to just set up two schedules through Acronis, one for the weekly full backup and one for the daily incremental. If you size your Acronis Secure Zone correctly then in week one you will start with a full backup and then you will have daily incrementals. In week two you will have another full backup plus daily incrementals. Acronis doesn't wipe out previous backups until the Secure Zone is full then it wipes the oldest backup to accomodate a fresh full backup. You decide from monitoring how large the Secure Zone should be and you can have as many cycles of full+incrementals in the zone as you wish. It's only a matter of making sure that the Secure Zone is large enough for your needs. It really is that easy.

3. mortee

mortee Registered Member

Nice, I'll check that out. However, can I have a Secure Zone stored on a Samba server? That's where I want to back up my system to.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mortee,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform that you cannot create Acronis Secure Zone on the remote computer. Actually, you will be able to create it but will not be able to share it and therefore use for image storing.

You may schedule 7 weekly full backups: for each day of week. In this case the old image for the particular day will be replaced with the new one for the same day of week.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. mortee

mortee Registered Member

Nice suggestion. At least, nice if not considering the fact that a full backup of the main box takes 8 gigs, so this little week's worth of backlog in the form of full backups would take almost 60 gigs on the file server. I guess it's worse than having to use an external scheduler to invoke a script which does the rotating and runs TI for me. Thanks anyway.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mortee,

You may find more convinient the follwoing strategy:
    - Schedule two full backups once in a fortnight each: one being launched after a week from the other;
    - Create 6 incremental to both of them once in a fortnight (each one for the particular day of the week).

Finally you will get 14 schedulings (12 incrementals and 2 full) and will have one set for the current week and the other for the previous one.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. mortee

mortee Registered Member

Yes, actually, that seems to be much better. I'll give it a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.