Backing up to DVD from Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by therookie, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therookie

therookie Registered Member

I made a full backup of my system (bare, just drivers and OS) in acronis's secure zone and was curious if i can get to that backup file somehow and burn it to a dvd. It is on my second hard drive but i would like to have it on optical media as well. I have sent them an email about this but they have not responded. Since making this initial copy, I have installed all my apps so simply making another copy of the system image and having it go directly to DVD is not an option.

Steps for what I did:
    1. Install Acronis True Image
    2. Create Acronis Secure Zone on your computer hard disk. restart
    3. Activate Acronis Startup Recovery manager and create a bootable media with Acronis True Image.
    4. Rebooted with bootable media and made a system backup in the Acronis Secure Zone.
    5. Rebooted into windows and installed all apps etc.

Any thoughts?

I am planning on creating another full backup with all my apps in the same secure zone and burning that to a dvd as well.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you have the same image on your second hd, can you not burn that image to dvd?

Personally, I don't like the SZ feature at all. I use an external hd AND also burn to DVD from that external.

3. noonie

noonie Registered Member

If I understand you correctly, your initial ti backup is in the secure zone on your second hdrive.
    There are 2 ways to do this that I know of easily.

Boot with a knoppix cd and you will be able to work with the secure zone and burn the backup to dvd (if the particular burner is supported under knoppix). Big learning curve. If you truly are a "rookie" then method 2 may be for you.

Boot with the Ti cd and make a full hdrive image of tib file sizes of around 650 mb to a folder on your 2nd hdrive (or wherever).
    Using your favorite dvd burn software, burn these tib files on dvd's.
    You will now have a ti image of your os and installed apps.
    Do a restore from the secure zone to your 1st drive and you should have your "original os only install" without apps on your 1st drive.
    Create a new ti image of first os only complete 1st hdrive to another folder on your 2nd drive. Burn this image set to dvd also.
    Now you should have an original os install image set on 2nd drive and dvd,
    and an os plus installed apps image set on 2nd drive and dvd.
    Now you can restore the 1st hdrive with the installed apps image and be exactly where you are now plus having a bare os image on dvd.

Laborous method, only way I know of.
    Your idea of having complete images at multiple stages is very good.
    As always backup your data only, via a different method, just in case.

Also, as Chutsman suggested dump the secure zone. It's useless if you can't work with the files easily, and/or a hdrive fries.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Another vote for getting rid of the Secure Zone particularly if you have a second drive. It is doing nothing for you but getting in the way of normal file management and making a simple task more complex. Secure Zone may be a benefit for some people if you only have one physical drive but I even wonder about that. I image to a logical drive located on my second HD and then just burn the files to DVD whenever I chose with Nero.

5. therookie

bummer, wish i had known that you couldnt get individual file access on the secure zone... what the heck is the point of it then? seems like a good idea but a bit useless right now... kind of like master pages in .NET 05...

noonie i think i will have to go with your second option... thanks for the reply!

maybe there will be an explorer soon:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=645213#post645213

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

For the purpose of balance I am putting forward my reasons for using the Secure Zone.

It allows for new backup images to be created and the removal of outdated ones to occur automatically within Windows with no user intervention. The whole point of a Secure Zone is that it cannot be accessed by other than the Acronis program. Images therein are thus more secure from damage or finger trouble which could occur in an accessable file.
    The most sensible place for the Secure Zone is on an internal slave drive, it makes less sense to have it on the drive that it is protecting.
    Using a SZ for regular backups does not stop a user from making backups to other media. Rather than complaining one cannot copy an image from the Secure Zone I make FRESH images manually to an external drive. These can be made from within Windows or, if one goes off line, via the rescue cd.
    I see no virtue in copying images from one location to another as this step itself could be open to error.

Xpilot

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

The instructions to therookie to retrieve and save his only image from the secure zone was meant as a 1 time ordeal as he had mentioned
    "bummer, wish i had known that you couldnt get individual file access on the secure zone"
    Hopefully, now with a better understanding of how the secure zone works, he will devise an image stategy that will suit his particular needs, whether or not it will incorporate the secure zone.
    I think he is wise having image copies on both a hdrive and dvd.

8. therookie

I think that the SZ is a good idea for data backups but not if you are trying to keep a couple clean backups like i am of the system it isnt the best... thanks for the balanced opinion! appreciated! :)

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Thanks for adding the balance and increasing the knowledge base. Even though it doesn't suit the way I want to handle the backups I have no right to assume that it it is not useful for other users of the product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.