Backing up partition to files on same partition?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tomq, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomq

Tomq Registered Member

Can you do a partition backup and have the resulting image files written to that same partition?

More importantly, assuming this can be done, is TI smart enough not to include these just created image files in its backup of the partition?

-TomQ

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

You can.

TI will make an image of the partition as it is at the start of the Imaging. However don't forget if you leave the image on the partition then the next image will include the previous image. TI makes no assumptions about anything and images the partition completely.

3. Tomq

Tomq Registered Member

I seem to recall somewhere in the documentation reading that you can continue using your system while TI is creating the backup images, because TI is smart enough to keep track of files that change during the backup session, and make a second image of them at the end. My fear is that this behavior would result in TI trying to backup the image files, possibly in a endless loop.

In any case, my goal is to image to files on the disk so that I can burn them after the fact to DVD+R media, instead of imaging them directly to DVD as I am doing now. This, however, won't be practical if the resulting image files contain copies of themselves, thus greatly increasing the number of DVD's needed to backup my system.

-TomQ

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tomq,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that when start image creation, Acronis True Image creates a snapshot of all the sectors taken by data. Once the snapshot is completed, the product automatically starts imaging the disk or partition. It allows users to continue using applications during image creation. Acronis True Image will not put into the image any modifications or changes made after the image creation process has started.

During backup, the software creates an image from the sectors that contain data, creating an exact duplicate image of the hard disk. The disk backup file contains the exact copy of a hard disk, including all the computer data, operating system, and programs. The resulting image file doesn't contain copy of themselves.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.