Backing Up Mapped Network Drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Arf1410, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arf1410

Arf1410 Guest

Basic True Image Backup Questions

I am considering the purchase of Acronis True Image 8.0 to back-up my hard drive, and had a few questions first.

I have 2 computers, both running windows XP, that are connected on my home network. I recently purchased a second, large hard drive for one of them, primarily to use for back-up purposes

/1/ For backup, I assume I should use Image, rather than Clone?

/2/ It appears the the image is stored in the Acronis Secure Zone. Can I store an Image from each of the two computers in a single secure zone on the second hard drive on one PC?

/3a/ I will likely soon get A Network Attached Storage (NAS) Unit, such as the Buffalo linkstation. Will True image be able to create a third Image (2 PCs + this linkstation) and also store it one the one secure zone on that second hard drive on one PC?

/3b/ I don't fully understand the Buffalo Linkstation, but best I can gather, the buffalo drive is not a true windows partition, but possibly Linux absed? Will True Image have a problem imaging that NAS dirve?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: Basic True Image Backup Questions

1. true
    2. u dont have to store the images in the secure zone but yes u can store more than one image in it (if u have the space).
    3a. yes
    3b. there will be no problem

3. arf1410

arf1410 Guest

thanks for the input.

I can find ATI v8.0 on internet (at major sites not likely to be selling pirated s/w) for less that half the list price, for "disk only" with security code(key?)... Any idea where this s/w comes from, and is it legit?

4. WSFuser

newegg.com has it for $30(download), $35(boxed). what sites in particular did u find it on?

5. arf1410

arf1410 Guest

upon further recollection (and search), it was N. Ghost that was available as "disk only" for real cheap. $30 seems about best for ATI, accept for $24 for some strange versions (corp. workstation?) at CDW

6. WSFuser

maybe u need to buy both the media ($24) and the license ($50)? the site is rele weird, they have the regular true image for $44 but they say u need to buy the media seperately, which they dont have. my advice go to newegg.co or whatever retailer u prefer and just get the true image for $30.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Arf1410,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

WSFuser ia absolutely correct. Please let me add the following information about Acronis Secure Zone: if there is an Acronis Secure Zone on the hard disk, then Acronis True Image (any edition) will only allow you to manage it, but not to create another one. However, you still can connect another hard disk with an Acronis Secure Zone on it and Acronis True Image will allow you to save image archive to any of the Acronis Secure Zones as well as restore, explore or verify them later. Also if you create an image on the same disk (partition), we recommend you to store an image in the Acronis Secure Zone. But if you create an image to the external hard drive, you don't need Acronis Secure Zone.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase Acronis True Image 8.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

8. WSFuser

Why is this? If you shutdown ur computer improperly, couldn't there be a disk error? or maybe a virus could still infect it?

9. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

I understand ATI only backs up whole partitions. Suppose I have a network attached storage (NAS), which is jsut a single partition. Some of the folders are mapped as X:, and others are mapped as Y:. can I back-up just the X: "drive" or y: "drive", or while it try to backup the whole partition, which would include both x and y?

10. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

I now have my Buffalo NAS along with acronis TI trial version. It seems to work fine to backup my real partitions on my hard drive, but doesn't even give me the option to back up the buffalo linkstation NAS, mapped as X: drive...HELP?

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello arf1410,

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience. First of all please use the latest build of Acronis True Image 8.0 (903). Then please run Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, choose Disk Management, maximize the size of window and make a screen shot of this window, then create Acronis Report (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317) and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.