backing up existing .tib to tape using acronis again

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nahmus, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nahmus

nahmus Registered Member

Is there any problem/downside to using Acronis to backup already created images (.tib) to tape?

If i select no compression will it just copy the file to tape or will it try to create a .tib file containing the already compressed .tib file?

If i select multiple small .tib files will it combine them into one big .tib file on the tape thus making me restore the entire .tib tape file to get to one of the smaller .tib files? I could always use 1 tape per image but it would be nice if I could get acronis to just write the files to tape like a normal tape backup program.

2. nahmus

nahmus Registered Member

Nobody is using acronis to move acronis backups to tape? What are people using to move disk images to tape?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nahmus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that if you copy the already created backup archive to the tape drive you will not be able to restore it from the tape directly using Acronis True Image. You will need to copy it back to a local/external/network hard drive to perform the restoration.

In this case a new backup archive will be created, which will contain the selected backup archive.

Yes, in this case the resulted backup archive will contain all the selected backup archives.

Please note that if you wish to use the tape drive to store image archives we would recommend that you store the image archives directly to the tape drive via Acronis True Image. You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image with tape drive in the respective User's Guide.

The article Working with Acronis True Image and Tape Drives also can be useful.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. nahmus

nahmus Registered Member

thanks for the answer. Maybe in the future Acronis could make a "Tape Copy" feature so that people with multiple smaller images can consolidate them on a single tape without having to use another backup product.

just a suggestion. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.