Backing up Data

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jon_fl, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have the Maxtor onetouch II and was backing up critical data to Dantz Retrospect and imaging backups to TI, as some have suggested. The problem is the heavy memory usage of Retrospect that slows down my computer. Any other ideas for backing up just the data? I have XP Home. o_O

2. dld

dld Registered Member

Jon... Here are a couple of freeware backup programs you might have a look at.
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html
    http://www.alistairgeorge.com/b4win/

From your recent posts, I gather you are new to the Maxtor II USB2 OneTouch external HD and to the "full" version of Retrospect that comes bundled with it. If you are not happy with this *full* version, there is another pared down version on the same disk, Retrospect Express 6.0.222. Give it a try.

3. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Actually Retrospect Express is what I had installed. I read on the Dantz forum that the memory usage is a common complaint. I didn't notice the full version as an option. I guess I missed that. Do those freeware backup programs work well with the Maxtor OneTouch? Retospect worked well, it just slowed down my system.

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I thought you may have been using Retrospect Express HD. It seems this version is very buggy. As for the freeware backup programs, I have never used them myself.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

For that, I strongly recommend NTI Backup Now! and it's very easy to use... Even my wife uses it without difficulty. ...Hope she doesn't see this post or I'm in the *puppy* house!

6. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Well, I already have TI for image-level backup/recovery. I just need specific file backup/recovery program.

Another thing I noticed with Retrospect is occasional ext HD activity.

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I too use TI for imaging my drive (strictly for purposes of disaster recovery). NTI's Backup Now! easily backs-up and recovers specific folders/files (which is far more laborious to do using TI)!

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Heavy memory usage? What are you talking about? Unless I am missing something in Task Manager, it takes about 50 MB when it sits in the System Tray. Whatever it do every night at 02:00 AM when it is scheduled for backups, well - I couldn't care less as long as it does not disturb my sleep.

9. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I really don't want to debate about Dantz software, only interested in an alternative data backup software. I'm not alone in my observation though.

One of many complaints from the Dantz Forum:

You are quite right about Retrospect HD Express having a quite large memory footprint. Even when Retrospect is NOT performing a backup a glace at Task Manager shows the following two related entries

Retrospect.exe Using over 27 MB
    RetroExpress.exe Using over 39 MB

Considering most people only backup once per day (in the middle of the night) it seems that having these tasks taking up over 63 MB of RAM 24 hours a day is somewhat wasteful. I feel it is questionable software design to tie up 63 MB all day long which could ultimately cause unnecessary access to the swap file – particularly for those with 128MB – 256MB. Retrospect could easily been programmed to have a zero memory footprint (while not actually in use) by simply being initiated by the Windows Scheduler at the time a backup is scheduled. When I see this kind of bloat on PC software it raises a red flag for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.