Backing Up CHX-I Settings

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by noway, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noway

noway Registered Member

Although you can export your filter rules to a .sfd file, I noticed that after uninstalling and re-installing that I didn't need to change anything...my old log, filter rules, settings for SPI, etc. were just as they were. So I looked around and found:

Log Location:
    C:\Windows\Packet Filter.log

Registry Location for Other Settings: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDRCI]

(In case you wanted to do a complete uninstall or backup these items....)

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I noticed that also.. You can uninstall and later reinstall without losing your rules and so on. Handy at times...

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Noway,
    Mind explaining how you exported your rules to a sfd file type? Whenever I tried exporting my rules they wound up in txt form.

4. noway

noway Registered Member

On the left pane, highlight Interface: Local Area Connection....and you should see your filters in the right pane. Left click the top filter, and with the shift key depressed, left click the bottom filter. Now all filters should be highlighted. Right click the highlighted filters and in the dropdown menu that pops up, select "Export in a new file" and you will be prompted with a save box to save it as an .sfd file.

5. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi all!

Another good reference for backing-up filter sets and other tasks, is at the Treewalk DNS & ICS turtorial page:

http://members.shaw.ca/BIND-PE_and_ICS/chxi.htm

after the 'A Typical Broadband Router Network:' section portion of the page.

Regards
    Jazzie

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Thanks, Noway and Jazzie, for the info. You just made life a little easier for me when I need to do a system restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.