Backing up an XP-Embedded Compact Flash?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by johnmck, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmck

johnmck Registered Member

My system runs XP-Embedded on a compact flash card - no other drives in the system. I would like to back up to a USB external harddrive. Unfortunately TI9.1 doesn't recognize the CF as a valid drive.

Took the CF out of the system and put it into a USB card reader attached to my laptop. Again TI doesn't recognize it as a system drive and so I can't get a full image and have to use the FILES AND FOLDERS option instead.

Has anyone found a way to get a full image of a USB device rather than just the files and folders?

2. _gl

_gl Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem. I'd really like to see support for CF cards in USB readers in an update.

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I might be missing the point, but just for info, we run 512MB ATA Flash Disks in our WinXp Embedded boxes and I have backed these up using ATI on a bootable USB Stick.

F.

4. foghorne

Apologies, I missed the crucial word "compact".

F.

5. _gl

_gl Registered Member

Right, the problem is that only 'fixed disk' devices seem to be supported as image sources or targets - so you can back up an image anywhere, but you can't make an image from, or restore an image to, a 'removable' disk.

In my case I specifically bought a CompactFlash card marked as 'fixed disk', however this only works with an IDE adapter - when used in a USB reader, the OS always considers it removable anyway.

So I think all we want is removable disk source/target support in an update...

*update*: I now requested it via a support mail, perhaps do the same if you want this.

6. foghorne

As I said, it works with a USB stick as a target - which is not a fixed disk.

7. _gl

_gl Registered Member

You said you backed up an ATA flash drive to USB stick. That's not the same as restoring the image to it. You can backup images to any type of drive, but it seems you can't restore an image to a removable (TI doesn't list them).

8. foghorne

Yes that is true. You are talking about a restoration target and a backup source - not a backup target or a restoration source - I thought you were discussing all combinations.

F.

9. _gl

_gl Registered Member

That's it :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.