backing up a damaged disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ilya239, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilya239

ilya239 Registered Member

I have a hard disk with a few damaged sectors. When I try to back it up, TI9 aborts early saying "read error". Is there a way to tell it to back up all the data it can read, and just ignore the sectors that it can't read?

2. dhaji

dhaji Registered Member

Read error

I also have a few bad blocks on my HD - but managed to get an image made...

My problem now is incremental backups abort with:
    Operation with partition "C:" was terminated. Details: Read error (0x70003)

Has anyone seen this before?
    I know it's a huge image, but I thought this is what software like TI is for...

Could it be the HD is failing further, and due to more bad blocks, TI cannot read the existing data it originally backed up? (haven't noticed any further
    issues, but could be time for a new HD?)

STATS:

Windows: XP-SP2
    Acronis TI-build: 2302

HD: 160GB
    C-partition: 127GB
    D-partition: 24GB

Image (originally created Oct 23/05):
    18 *.tib files, 4GB each

Backing up to: 160GB USB External drive

any info appreciated,
    Thanks,
    - Richard (dhaji)

3. KathyS

KathyS Guest

Unfortunately, you are supposed to back BEFORE you have disk problems. Good luck though

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

You might try chkdsk <drive> /r
    You probably need to buy a new disk and then copy as much off the old disk as possible.
    If you really need to try to recover the sectors that can't be read then you should consider purchasing a program such as SpinRite 6 - it might be able to recover the data.
    The whole point of backups using a program such as TrueImage is to have a valid copy of your data just incase a situation arises such as you are experiencing with read errors. TrueImage and programs like it are not designed to attempt to fix faulty data in disk sectors - for that you need SpinRite or similar.
    Good luck.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Re: Read error

It was time for a new hard drive when you found the first bad sectors. Good drives don't have bad sectors.

Right click on your C drive and pick properties. Click on the Tools tab. Click on Check Now and check both boxes. Then click Start. Reboot, and let the full check run. When it has completed and you are back in Windows, immediately make a full system backup. Screw the incrementals when a disk is failing. You want an image you can recover data from later.

6. TechBebe

TechBebe Registered Member

Just went throught the bad block prob with my girlfriend's machine. I don't believe you are able to do an incremental if you have damaged sectors. Besides, you want to restore new drive with good image. If there is important data try backing up requisite files and folders. On my gf's machine we were still able to backup my documents and some other important folders. She was fortunate. Good Luck, Tech

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ilya239 and dhaji,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would agree with jmk94903 and suggest you to create a full image of your hard drive right after checking all the partitions of your damaged drive by Windows utility (e.g. use "chkdsk <drive letter> /r" command).

As for creating an incremental images of the hard drive that has bad blocks\sectors. I would not recommend you to do this. It will be much better to create a full image of the entire disk in the way described above, install new "healthy" hard drive and restore your image. Make sure that everything works fine and then get rid of the damaged hard drive as soon as possible :)

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.