Backing to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cover, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cover

cover Registered Member

Anyone else had problems doing backups to DVD using Acronis True Image 9.0 ?

2. cover

cover Registered Member

I've been able to do a backup of a huge folder onto my C drive but shouldn't I be able to do a direct backup onto my DVD burner w/version 9.0?

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes, you should, but it seems that lots of people have problems. It's faster to backup to a hard drive and then burn the backup to DVDs.

4. cover

cover Registered Member

So is that a matter of making the backup to your own hard drive and then using another program to move the backup file to CDR or DVDo_O Another point (or question), In my case my hard drive is occupied to the tune of approximately 65% which means if I were to make an image on my HDD of my whole system, I'd be forced to use compression mode. Back to the original though... If you can backup to a removable drive (and to make sure I'm clear on this), you CAN back up to a DVD burner w/version 9.0, correct? thanks a bunch...

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

It is really not a good idea to put the backup of your hard drive on the same hard drive. And in a standard TI Backup process some compression is used by default. You can also opt for higher compression but that will take longer to do. Also be clear in your mind the difference between Cloning and Backup as used by True Image.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I suggest you install a second harddrive (USB/Firewire or internal). Optical media are noriously unreliable, fragile, hard to manage and require you to be at the machine when the backup is taking place. Not only that I don't believe rotation of images is viable as RW disks are even more unreliable and more prone to scratching and wear becuase of all the extra handling they have.

Once you have started using disk I doubt you'll look back.

F.

7. aggronix

aggronix Registered Member

It depends on the actual build and on the type of your external dvd. Please read my thread :"Backing to DVD (from Rescue Media) depends on Type of DVD Burner" https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=165481

We all should demand a list of working dvd burners (in the linux environment) from the support. There are some!

regards, aggronix.

8. cover

cover Registered Member

Philips Internal DVD 8601 that came with my Dell. Build #2323. I'd hoped to be able to do incremental backups onto DVD, much the same as a person used to be able to do with MS-DOS on diskettes. Backing up and restoring was a breeze so long as there were no media issues.

9. cover

cover Registered Member

That is an excellent idea... Perhaps too as we always find ourselves needing more and more HDD space, buying a bigger internal HDD and clone your existing onto the new where afterwards, the existing becomes the backup.

10. cover

cover Registered Member

I guess to summarize what I know of the two, a person would clone if they were moving the contents of their old HDD onto a new HDD where they wanted an 'exact' copy of all contents. They'd backup important data with the idea of possibly having to restore in the event of a virus, kids screwed up a folder, guard against accidental deletion of critical data, etc etc...

11. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Yes and no ..:D you can use Backup to make an Image of your entire hard drive. This Image can be Recovered (restored), when needed, to a hard drive which will then be bootable just like the original. In fact I would venture to guess that this is how the majority of the regulars here use TI.
    Cloning is more for when you want to change your drive to a larger hard drive.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cover,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that direct DVD writing was implemented starting from later builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.
    We recommend you to download and install the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Marat,

I think there is a need to point out to users that there is a problem with Build 3854, which prevents certain people (myself included) creating images to DVD drives when operating in the Linux based rescue environment (validation and restore are not affected). Details of the problem are detailed in this previous thread titled <Testing of v9 Build 3854>.

For some reason, Acronis has never commented on this problem or, indeed, even acknowledged its existence.

Regards

14. cover

cover Registered Member

I had a similar issue yesterday as I attempted to backup using build 3854 on a Windows XP machine. Kept stopping giving me an error where any .jpg or other type of image is concerned. I was wishing I had a 'no to all' type of button so as not to wear out my mouse clicking to ignore and continue, just to see what I'd end up with. Otherwise, it was impressive to see it backing to DVD. I aborted and gave up around 16% because of the ongoing image errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.