Background process??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by savagcl, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

I am running acronis true image 7.0 and it works fine. Also have the acronis
    disk director and its good also.

I always do full image backups, never an incremental backup, think its
    a waste of time!

Two questions:
    If i use the bootup cd to start acronis image, either to create or restore one,
    are these 3 processes required to be loaded at startup, during normal daily
    (not backing up or restoring an image) usage?

If i use the F11 key to do a restore only are these 3 processes needed at boot up?

Acronis does a pretty good job with their programs but you need to stop
    loading all this stuff upon booting (and having it run constantly). Granted,
    it may have a small memory footprint but all those small footprints add up.
    Seems like you cant buy a program today that dont run at startup and dont
    stop until system is shutdown. Or else the programs want to throw little
    files into the documents and settings folders - another headache for users.
    Sorry, i'm venting here. Its not only acronis but all software vendors.
    Venting over.

savagcl

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello savagcl,

Thank you for using Acronis software (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

When you boot from Acronis Bootable CD or by pressing the F11 key Acronis Loader boots instead of your operational system. It is based on Linux and loads only the processes needed for Acronis True Image functioning (the same thing is for Acronis Disk Director Suite as well).

When you boot Windows there are three processes that should be launched in order Acronis software works properly. If you somehow delete these processes manually you won't be able to launch Acronis software. These processes uses about 3Mb of memory so it seems to be not a problem since 256Mb (or even 512Mb) RAM is common for modern computers now.

In the "Documents and Settings" folder logs are usually stored. Since they are .txt files (.xml to be correct) they take very little place - for example, on my computer it takes about 20Kb, my hard drive being 60Gb. Also this folder is used for scripts if you schedule image creation. These script usually takes about 300 bytes. So it doesn't seem to be a problem when you have 40Gb (or larger) HDD.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. savagcl

Thanks for the reply (and again, sorry bout the venting).

I guess i need to be more specific:

a. trueimagemonitor.exe: What does it do and how does it do it?

b. schedhlp.exe: What does it do and why do i need a help file loaded all the
    time?

thank you for the reply,
    savagcl

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello savagcl,

There is no need in apologizing. It is the purpose of this forum to allow Acronis customers and future customers to ask any qiestions and solve any problems.

As regards your request, please read the following:

schedul2.exe -- Acronis scheduling service.
    This service is started on the computer startup and remains active until the computer is turned off. It is used by Acronis software to start scheduled tasks. Note that Acronis True Image always schedule image creation tasks, even if you start the "Image creation" operation. Thus if you stop Acronis scheduling service, then you loose the ability to create images in Windows.

schedhlp.exe -- Acronis scheduling service helper
    This program monitors the logons and logoffs in the running system and notifies Acronis scheduling service about them. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. Acronis True Image uses this program to schedule tasks on user logon/logoff and to run non-scheduled "Image creation" operation.

TrueImageMonitor.exe -- Acronis True Image Monitor
    This program provides the interface between running Acronis True Image tasks and the user. It allows to observe the tasks progress and cancel the running tasks. It is started when a user logs into the system and terminates when the user logs off. This program is not required by Acronis True Image to perform its tasks, and can be terminated if you think it occupies too much memory, but you will loose the ability to control running Acronis True Image tasks.

All Acronis resident modules uses very little amount of physical memory in normal state (when no imaging or other task is performed) since operating system swaps them off to the swap file on the hard disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. savagcl

Ilya,

Thank you for the definiative answer.
    well done.

I understand more about the "behind the scenes" processes now.

Its Saturday, so dont work to hard and have a good one.
    savagcl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.