back up programs

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by culla, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culla

culla Registered Member

anyone know what storagecraft-recovery-environment-cd is like ?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The recovery disk is first-rate. I consider it my most valuable disk in my utility disk collection.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That depends. If you are looking for a simple PE recovery based bootable disc that has a very limited scope than ShadowDefender and Paragon Pro are good enough. I however like a recovery disc that will allow me to use other portable tools that I keep on my flash drive. These cannot do that as they only provide program-specific functions.

Try the Active @ Disk Image for a complete bootable PE based recovery environment. But be aware that it does not restore dynamic disks.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Simply said its a preinstalled Windows environment that at time of use,uses only memory to do its thing and read/write to disks.
    Important thing here is,to make sure that your backup images are reliable and will recover.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Any and all images I've created with it have never failed to restore for me. It will even image/restore Linux partitions, although for some reason without compressing them.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

nothing installed,i use only recovery disk,and yes its great !

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, this has become a trademark of ShadowProtect: It has always restored my images perfectly and quickly (I haven't counted but 30-40 would be a good guess). The recovery CD is absolutely necessary to restore full images, that is part of the reason why there are no errors, no interaction with the OS.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I don't bother with the installed program either. I've had some issues with it where it does not fix the BCD even though I specify that option when restoring. Since I don't need to backup often, I'm content to forego the convenience of automatic backups.

I think you're right. It's true "bare metal" recovery that can't be realized with the installed program.

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

The recovery CD is the only way I use ShadowProtect. It's easy to create and restore images and it's always worked perfectly. As noted, by restricting my usage to the CD, I don't have access to HIR. But I have no need for that so it's no issue for me.

10. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

The 3.5 versions of ShadowProtect's recovery environment now includes the Boot Configuration Tool, which is a fairly comprehensive fix-boot-issues tool. The post-restore BCD patching code has been fixed. If you're just walking up to a system which has a jacked BCD, you can use the Boot Configuration Tool to repair the BCD/Boot.ini/MBR/boot sector/boot loader/etc and make it bootable (independent of restore). Just thought I'd mention that this is no longer an issue.

11. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Han, if you do want HIR, but only want to make your backups from the booted CD Recovery Environment, you can get this capability. To do so, simply install ShadowProtect on on your normal Windows volume, but don't actually use the installed ShadowProtect. Its presence alone is enough such that images of it which are captured from within the booted CD Recovery Environment can be used with HIR for restoration to machines with radically different hardware.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi grnxnm,

What I mean is when I choose the option to restore MBR from image file or original windows MBR is that the installed program does not seem to do this (get the "BCD was not repaired" message in the details after image is restored), whereas with the recovery disk this does not happen.

13. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

If you're currently booted into your normal Windows operating system on your hard disk, then your MBR and hidden track sectors are good and you really don't want to mess with them. You really only *should* want to restore such things if you are actually restoring the backup of the operating system volume, and such a restore is best done from the bootable-CD recovery environment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.