Back up from one computer to another

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mr_Natural, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Natural

Mr_Natural Registered Member

My desktop computer contains a 2 hard drive. the 2nd drive is large enough to contain the contents of the C drive on both my desk top and lap top. My lap top only has one drive. Is there a way I can back up from my lap top to my 2nd drive on my desk top

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can buy an external case for your hard drive. then connect your "external" drive to the laptop and backup as usual.

i currently have western digital drive in a vantec nexstar 2 enclosure and True Image detects it just fine.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Depends on what specific equipment you have. Do you have network cards in both machines ? Do you have a router or otherwise a home network set up ? Do you have USB ports on both machines so you can do as WSFuser suggests ?

4. Mr_Natural

Mr_Natural Registered Member

Just so you know, my 2nd drive is and internal drive. My desk top has 2 internal hard drives and my laptop has 1 internal hard drive. So if I understand you correctly, I can put my 2nd internal drive in an external case and make it look like an external drive to either machine. Is that correct?

Thanks again for responding

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

that is correct. u have a choice of firewire, usb, and esata (not very common).

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I use the first listing and it has worked very well and it is seen by ATI. I like because it has a fan and an external on/off switch and is very quiet.
    The first listing connects only via usb.
    The second listing connects via usb or IEEE1394
    With these, no hard drive is included. You supply your own.

AMS VENUS DS-2316B2BK 3.5" USB 2.0 Black External Enclosure - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145656

AMS VENUS DS-2316CBK Aluminum 3.5" USB + IEEE 1394 Black External Enclosure - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145657

AMS Venus DS3 DS-2316SU2SBK 3.5" USB2.0 (type B) + SATA External Enclosure - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145660

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.