Back-up for Spybot S&D -- which one should I get?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use & like Spybot S&D as well as Ad-Aware. Now I am looking for yet another anti-spyware -- not instead of what I have, but in addition to.

I want an on-demand anti-spyware scanner -- NOT a real-time monitor.

I would appreciate any & all suggestions. Aloha

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

3. dog

dog Guest

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

To be perfectly honest I could only suggest to use preventative measures such as SWB - and stick with the proven 2 for scanning. Then again, this is just me. :D

5. bellgamin

Thanks for the suggestion bigbuck. But I am a devout ABM* sort of fellow.

Ohhhhh yeah!!!! What a find. Thanks Dog. I still want to hear other ideas, but (as of now) Bazooka is already on my computer, & shall stay there. Donate? Of course I shall.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dog Food...

_/ There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

_/ The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.

_/ You can learn a lot from your dog: obedience, courage, loyalty, and the importance of turning around 3 times before lying down.

Mahalo nui loa....... bellgamin

* "ABM" = Anything But M$ :cool:

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

What on earth. That bazooka is seriously fast. Don't knlow if thats because it doesn't scan for much.

Jimbob

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Webroot: Spy Sweeper
    Not free, seems good.
    Has on demand options.
    Never had FP yet.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Attached Files:

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I'm just running it now myself. It seems to take up a reasonable amount of my systems resources :( I'm not even using an old pc :D

10. bellgamin

It has >500 baddies on its hit list. Their FAQ gives scan time on a slow Celeron as 1 second!

Wham bam, thank you ma'am! :p

I am giving Sweeper a trial. Thanks for the recm.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  11. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello bellgamin,

I recommend using MS's Anti Spyware beta - the ex-Giant, which according to Eric Howe's tests did better than SpyBot or Ad-Aware or most other anti spyware apps. MS announced recently that it will remain free beyound the "beta" phase.

It will give you an argument about shutting down the resident feature though and does not scan for tracking cookies.

Regards - Charles

12. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

hi
    suggested reading
    http://windowssecrets.com/050127/#story1

bearing in mind that the best two performers only bag around 70% of the nasties it adds weight to preventitive measures(prevention being better than cure).

webroot spysweeper is available on a free 30day hometrial(best to evaluate before paying for the software).
    http://www.webroot.com/products/spysweeper-indepth?rc=1751

!Good deal on Spysweeper ... get it for $19.99 instead of $29.99

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=1300105SF&DEPA=6

The download is version 3.2 - Register your copy with Webroot and upgrade to 3.5 (no cost)*thanks to "salient" down at spywarewarrior for the info ;)

on demand/real time ops

MS antispware beta and webroot can both run on demand if required by adjusting their software settings.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  13. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

Wow, no X-Cleaner fans around here? X-Cleaner makes an excellent back up to any other AS scanner. And here's a link to the free version which will only run on-demand.....just what the Dr. ordered. :p :D http://www.xblock.com/download-freeware.shtml

14. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I highly recommend Spyware Doctor http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/ . I know some people bash it in another thread for its advertising on search engines but it works good and has many features, easy to use and has been really updating the past 2 months. They are really on a roll and only getting better. It is payware.

Thanks,

Chris

15. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Both Bazooka & X-Cleaner here. Nice "second opinion" tools (although X-Cleaner sometimes has F/Ps).

I've also used Aranea Spywizard a few times, but it's recently been replaced by Visualizer Instant Help, which I haven't tried so far (and most likely won't - it looks a bit too, um, ambitious for my taste).

BS :)

16. bellgamin

I visited the Visualizer website. To use their *free* program, you must register. You must join their forum. You must use either Internet Explorer or Firefox. It seems that users of Netscape, Opera, K-Meleon, OffX1, etc are unwelcome. VERRRRY strange.

It's their software so they can make whatever demands they want. But I am staying miles away, & shall recommend the same to my clients.

17. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Yes, just what I thought. It looks like they're offering an all-in-one tool (antispyware, antivirus, troubleshooting etc.) which practically enables direct communication between their forum and someone's desktop... Definitely NOT my cup of tea, either.

18. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.