Back up disk aborts before burning DVD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by gsgordon, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsgordon

gsgordon Registered Member

I am trying the free edition of Drive Backup 2009 on Windows XP. I have been able to use "Recovery Media Builder" to create a recovery CD with no problem.

However, I can't create a drive image on DVD using "Back up Drive or Partition".

When I click Apply, it progresses through until the point when it should start to burn the DVD - the tray then opens and I get "Error 65681 (0x10091) Aborted by User". I've tried DVD+R (2 different virgin disks) and DVD+RW (1 virgin disk) with the same result.

I've tried both Hot Processing Options - VSS with it set to auto, and Paragon Hot Processing.

Are there any other settings I should try? Are blank disks OK?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello gsgordon,

I don't know why it's stopping the burning process, unless you accidentally hit ESC. If you have enough free space on your hard drive, I would save the backup to your local hard drive, then use a program like NERO or ROXIO and manually burn the files to the DVDs. If your backup is larger than 1 DVD, you need to split the images under Tools > Settings > uncheck Image Split, then burn the files in order.

3. gsgordon

Only 1 DVD required, but it stops at the same point every time I try it.

I've successfully sent the backup to a drive on my other (networked) PC and checked I was able to extract individual files from the backup.

So everything else works and it's a pity burning the DVD fails. I assumed the error code would mean something.

4. Paragon_Tommy

I'm glad the workaround works for you. As the code say, "aborted by user" but it's possible program is incompatible with the burner.

5. gsgordon

Thanks Tommy,
    Yes, I'll try a few things with the DVD burning.

However, I'm a bit confused by the folder produced when I backed up the whole disk to the network drive.

It has 5 files, 2 of which are large (arc_021209102718484_0000p.000 ~ 2GB and arc_021209102718484_0000p.001 ~ 1.3GB); the small ones are arc_021209102718484.PBF, arc_021209102718484.pfm & arc_021209102718484_0000.pbf.

How do I use them to produce a bootable DVD? I'll probably do it on my Vista machine.

6. Paragon_Tommy

Total of 3.3 GB, you can burn them all on a DVD.

The PBF file is the master restore file. 000 file is the partition file and 001 is the last portion of the partition file since you have your settings to split the images 2GB. PFM is a log file and the last .PBF files is the MBR file.

When you go to restore, just locate the first .PBF file to restore everything.

7. gsgordon

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but does that make a bootable DVD?

8. Paragon_Tommy

No, the DVD only contains the backup archives. To make a bootable drive, you'd have to use the Recovery Media Builder found under Tools. Instead of Typical, use Advanced and include all of the 5 archive files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.