Back up a system?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by JerryM, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I know what words mean, but I do not understand what is backed up on a computer.
    I realize that if I have certain data, such as financial records, or photos I would want to back them up. But I often read that if one is going to install or uninstall something to back up or make an image of your system.

I have no idea how to do that. What would be backed up? I don't think that Windows, for example, would be backed up or programs such as Kaspersky, so what is done?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Jerry

Making an image of the disk, is like taking a picture. The whole disk is captured, and can be restored on a brand new disk. Basically it would include everything in a partition or if you have only one partition it would be the whole disk. This way you don't have to re install in pieces if a disk drive should fail.

pete

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Backing up and imaging are two different terms and mean two entirely different things. An image is, as Pete pointed out, just that -an image... everything

Back-up can be anything from finances, MP3's, photos to your whole Documents & Settings folder. Most people who Back-up usually just back-up important data.

If I had to choose just one application, I would choose Imaging.

...screamer

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Pete,
    Thanks for the reply. But I don't have enough knowledge to understand what is on the disk.
    I would assume that everything in the Program files would be on the disk. Is that true?

That would mean that if I had a crash I could restore everything from the back-up image, including Windows.

You see how little I know.
    What program do you prefer to accomplish making an image, and how long would it take for a disk with 80 gigs?

Hi Screamer,
    I guess we were both typing at the same time. I like the idea, but do not know what program to use, or how to do it. What would one put it on, an external drive? Obviously it would be too large to put on anything else.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Jerry, I'm new to the back-up concept also. It would help to know how many physical hard drives you have and or a cd/dvd burner. If you only have 1 hard drive and have the space, you can backup/image to it. If you don't have the space, you will need another external or internal hard drive or backup/image to cd/dvd media.

Click Start>My Computer and under Hard Drive Disks, right click each one and click properties>general(tab) to get the used, free and capacity numbers.

For example:
    C: used 26.2GB, free 63.6GB, capacity/total 89.8GB
    D: used 2.17GB, free 1.12GB, total 3.30GB

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I would never recommend imaging to the same hard drive as the whole point is to protect yourself from drive failure.

Jerry

My imaging program of choice is Shadowprotect. It is fast and reliable.
    I can image verify and restore 25gig in about 20 minutes. Note the times you will see are also very dependent on your hardware. The latest builds of Acronis also weren't bad if you stuck to just the basic uses. I don't like Version 10 as it is too bloated.

As a minimum if you only have one internal drive I'd get an external to hold images. CD/DVD's won't be as reliable as you will be spanning disks.

Pete

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi jerry,
    an image is the whole of windows in a point of time.
    so all your programs installed.
    all the updates.
    all your stuff the way you like it at the point you made the image.
    so if say a program doesnt work when you create the image the program wont work if yourestore the image.
    file back up is just files and folders you choose to backup.
    hope this helps you to understand it better.
    im trying to work out the backup for my new pc.
    its best to have imaging and file backup.
    you can get free file backup programs.
    you could always buy a network attached drive and get a program to backup your important documents to it daily.

thats what i might do.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

That's not the only purpose of imaging is it? I was trying to be objective and give the OP options. To be honest with you, imaging to the same drive is the only option I have for the time being as my burner isn't burning and I don't see a 2nd hd purchase in the near future. That's why I listed more options :).

ipeace

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think some people make an image of their Win drive so that they can install and uninstall and otherwise play with their software and system, and if they hose it or somehow bork things, then they can restore from the image in a matter of minutes. This is what I used to do when I was experimenting frequently with firewalls, AV's and other stuff. Saved me much time as things frequently did get messed up. All I did was create a separate partition on the same HD for the image. Worked out well...

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All,
    I just got back from a trip, and haven't had a chance to investigate further. The link looks very good, Grover.

I have only only one hard drive, and also have an external hard drive. A year or so ago I tried Acronis, but did something wrong and could not get it to work. I want to explore it more, and probably make an image when I can determine one or two reliable programs.

Best,
    Jerry

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    What software are you using to make an image?
    Is there a danger of messing up your system trying to make an image?
    Best,
    Jerry

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello jerry,
    I use paragon to create images.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home.htm
    its very unlikely creating an image with screw up your system.
    paragon has a data loss option that is ticked as default.
    so if the power goes during the image being created you wont lose any data.
    if you dont like paragon it will uninstall cleanly.
    you could also try shadow protect desktop.
    http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/
    both are great programs.
    try both and see what you like best.
    lodore

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    Thanks, I'll have to look at those.
    Have you tried ATI? Since it is inexpensive on nothing but software, I was thinking of trying that.
    Regards,
    Jerry

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi Jerry,
    TI created to many corropt images on my system.
    and it has two or three running process everytime you turn on the computer.
    if your unlucky when you uninstall it can quite a few remaindents.
    thats why i reccomended paragon and shadow protect desktop.
    if you like paragon pm me and i can give you a discount code.
    I had no problems with shadow protect desktop and just brought paragon because its cheaper.
    lodore

16. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Jerry, imho they all do the job well enough - providing there are no issues with your particular system configuration! Therefore, I would advise you to download trials of each disk-imaging program you are considering to try on your system to see you have any disk-recognition issues, especially with their emergency boot CD.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore, and Jo Ann,
    I appreciate the help. I am going to explore this more, and maybe trial ATI and/or Paragon if I can.

Best,
    Jerry

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just make sure you create recovery discs and make sure they boot correctly and see all your drives.
    lodore

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

How long did it take to make the recovery disks and an image of your system?
    Jerry

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it takes around 4 minutres to make the recovery cd.
    maybe less depending on speed on cd burner and computer spec.
    and how much gb is used on C:?
    i have used 50gb and it takes 2 hours 30 mins to create an image with full compression and verifying during its creation.
    lodore

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am only using 25gb on my desktop, and I think less than 18 on the laptop, so that would not take long. I guess you cannot use one program on two systems?

Thanks,
    Jerry

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi jerry,
    with shadow protect desktop i know for a fact you cant because i asked.
    but i dono about paragon
    lodore

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

Thanks for the help. I am going to see what I can learn about this. I am not really very concerned about my hd crashing, but one never knows.

When I read that I should test the programs, it seems to me that it would be a lot of trouble to make an image, and then do something that requires that I use it to see if it works. I don't want to have to restore the image of my system so how does one do that to test the imaging software?

Best,
    Jerry

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello jerry,
    the main one is to go in to options and tick the boxs to verify the image and check consistancy.
    if the image completes succesfully with those options ticked you should be good to go.
    the only other thing is to make sure the recovery cd boots and can see your drives.
    if you trial paragon here are the boxes you should tick.
    1. go to tools,settings,genaral options and tick verify written data.
    2. o to tools,settings,genaral options and tick enable data loss protection if not already ticked.
    3. go to tools,settings,backup images options and untick do not control integrity

4. on the main interface on left there is some drop down menus.
    make sure the tools menu is open and once you created an image you can click on check archive integrity, browse to the image and wait for it to check it.
    since ATI made quite a few corropt images i tested paragon on my test pc making images and restoring them quite alot.

its all about being confident the program will make an image 100 percent perfect everytime with no errors reported when its verifyed. its also about being confident that if windows wont boot you trust that if you stick in the recovery cd and restore an image it will restore with no issues.
    restoring images doesnt take long.
    i trust paragon now and when im restoring a fresh image on my test pc i just go downstairs and have a drink while it does. at first i was quite scared.
    lodore

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    Thanks for the help. That clarifies it for me. :thumb:

BTW both KIS 7 and KAV 7 are working flawlessly for me now. :thumb: I will continue with KAV for at least a year, and then see what I want to do about going to KIS or keeping KAV.

Since all is well, I am inclined to "Let sleeping dogs lie."

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.