Back to 32 bits?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mimuweb, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimuweb

mimuweb Registered Member

Hi guys. Actually i'm running W7 64 bits in my desktop PC (Core2Duo E4500, 4gB RAM)..., but i have some doubts about this decision. I've read here that 64 bits are less secure than 32 bits (kernel issue), and i've found that some applications run better in 32 bits or simply there is not 64 bits version. My old scanner not have 64 bits drivers (i have to run it in a VMware machine)... In the other hand, i like a lot photography (Photoshop) and video edition (Premiere), and 64 bits version is great. I have W7 32 bits version in my laptop (CoreDuo T8100, 3GB de RAM, 5400 rpm), and sometimes i have the sensation that is running smoothly than my desktop PC...
    Any suggestions? Is not mature enough 64 bits world?

Thanks

Regards

Miguel Angel

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

64-bit is more secure than 32-bit, unless you're talking about security programs.

Also W7 32-bit can't use all of your 4 GB of RAM.

3. mimuweb

Exactly, that's the problem. Example of Sandboxie 64 bits:

"Full disclosure: The 64-bit edition of Sandboxie provides a reduced level of protection compared to the 32-bit edition of Sandboxie.

This shortcoming is the result of a new security feature introduced in 64-bit editions of Windows, called Kernel Patch Protection. This feature aims to protect the core of Windows (the kernel) by regularly performing self-checks to detect changes.

The problem is that a stock Windows kernel does not provide all the facilities necessary to implement a security solution such as Sandboxie. On 32-bit Windows, Sandboxie can dynamically enhance the Windows kernel to provide the missing functionality. This is not possible on 64-bit Windows, due to the Kernel Patch Protection feature.

It should be noted, however, that even with this disadvantage, the 64-bit edition of Sandboxie is still an adequate front line of defense against most types of malicious software.

Additionally, in order to compensate for this disadvantage, the 64-bit edition of Sandboxie enables the Drop Rights setting by default. This setting may need to be disabled before software can be installed into a sandbox. "

So, i understand that 32 bits version is more secure than 64 bits version.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Overall 64bit works better and is more secure. Few security progs that don't need evolving.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That third-party programs like Sandboxie can't dig as deeply into your system is EXACTLY the reason why a 64-bit kernel is more secure than a 32-bit one.

It's like saying that a backstreet ghetto is safer than an airport, because you're allowed to bring a gun into the ghetto.

6. mimuweb

Nice comparison!

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.