Back MS Outlook Failed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zimmelman, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimmelman

zimmelman Registered Member

I created a task to backup my MS outlook. The task ran, but it only created empty folders. The size of my pst file is currently over 400 megs. The size of the image file was 660K. I opened the file and it only contained empty folders.

Outlook was not running at the time the task executed. The log showed no errors for that task.

I used the "My Email" setting, and the all the MS Office Outlook folders were checked.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

TrueImage Home 11
    XP Pro SP3 etc., 2 gig RAM, 120 gigs free on the target drive.

TIA,
    -Steve-

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please make sure that the mentioned folders are really empty. Please copy one of the files to your desktop and check the size in Properties. Let us know the results.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. zimmelman

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for the reply, but the folders are indeed empty.

I used TI to back up the PST file, and using High Compression the size is 312 MEGs. The size of the backup using TI's internal email backup, is only 660K.

I copied the backup folders to my desktop, and they are empty. Even the registry folders are empty. I looked at the properties sheet and there are 0 bytes in the folders.

IMO, there isn't a compression algorithm that can compress 400+M into 660K unless it's 400M of mostly empty space, which my PST is not.

So either I'm not doing this correctly, or TI has some short-comings. TI seems to work fine otherwise.

Thanks,
    -Steve-

4. Acronis Support

Hello Steve,

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available here. To get access to updates you should first register Acronis software.

Actually, there's one common issue, when Acronis True Image 11 Home fails to backup e-mail when .pst file is larger than 500 MB. This issue has been reported to our Development Team and they are working on it.

As the workaround we would recommend you to create simple My Data backup instead My e-mail backup, and include your .pst file there, you will be able to recover it and get your e-mail settings back.

Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

5. zimmelman

I upgraded my version and tried it again. It still failed to capture any of the settings, but created empty folders for each setting.

I am backing the PST file directly, but the PST does not contain email accounts, only the email, calendar, etc.

The problem you described may also exist when the pst file is larger than 400MB, as mine is 466MB.

Thanks,
    -Steve-

6. Acronis Support

Hello Steve,

Just to be sure, have you upgraded your license to Acronis True Image Home 2009? Also, have you created a backup of the system partition? Have you tried to exclude the .pst file from the partition backup?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. zimmelman

Hi Oleg,

No I haven't upgraded to 2009. I upgraded to version 11 less than a year ago (last July). I am using the latest release of version 11, release 8101.

Yes, I have created complete system partition backups. Why would I want to exclude the pst file from the backup? That doesn't make sense to me.

-Steve-

8. Acronis Support

Hello Steve,

It appears that you are unable to backup your e-mails by means of Acronis True Image 11 Home. If you have a system partition backup file, you can exclude the .pst file in the case of need and copy it to the default Windows directory. The required information will be recovered.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

9. zimmelman

Hi Oleg,

This makes no sense to me. I have no idea what you are advising me to do, or why?

How does "Excluding" the pst file help me?

Why does a partition backup have anything to do with the TI's failure to backup email settings?

Please explain.
    -Steve-

10. Acronis Support

Hello Steve,

If you have a backup image of the entire system partition:

1) In the case of the operating system failure you can recover the entire archive and boot into the new recovered system. Microsoft Outlook with all settings and e-mails will be recovered also.

2) If you need to recover Profiles, Settings and Address book only (that is similar to the E-mail backup recovery), you can mount or explore the archive and copy/paste the .pst file from the archive to the default directory in Windows:

- Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\[user_account_name]\Local Settings\Applications Data\Microsoft\Outlook

- Windows Vista

C:\Users\[user_account_name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

The results will be similar as if you recover E-mail backup.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.