B3D Killer - remove BDE/B3D scumware...

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Incidentally,

I received exacly the same reports on a Dutch board I frequent:

After running B3D Killer the Windows\BDE folder remained, and couldn't even be removed in Safe Mode.

So this is no isolated incident.

Hope you find out how to counter this.

Cheers,  Tony

2. Hevanbe

Hevanbe Guest

Version 1.6 deletes ALL entries from the software, I have found no more traces on disk!

3. Hevanbe

Hevanbe Guest

Maybe more info is in place here:
    First de-installed KAZA on my Windows XP prof., installed KAZAlite and ran the remove software. Found a c:\bde map after removal and was able to delete this map.

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Update:

It turned out to be a storm in a teacup:
    Apparently the guy had logged in using the wrong account.

Once he logged in using his son's account the BDE folder let itself be removed without a prob.

Cheers, Tony

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Thanks a lot for the update - makes sense (but really depends on how Windows is set up).

Glad it seems NOT to be the Brilliant Digital software itself causing the removal problems!  :)

-javacool

6. ntoine

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Just an update on B3D/Altnet.

B3D Killer should still remove all traces of B3D from your computer EXCEPT a file used only by Kazaa for the Altnet network.

This file does NOT transfer any information about your computer out, nor does it do any transferring of data at all. It acts as an index file - when you search in Kazaa for "MP3" for example, if someone has bought that keyword, and they are in that index file, their result will appear near the top of the result list. As of now, this file poses no real threat.

The distributed application part of the network is not yet up. When it is, though, it will supposedly allow a full and painless uninstall if you should want to get rid of it (it would also supposedly ask you before it installs the components for the distributed part of Altnet).

Just a small update from some quick testing. (Please note, that if any information stated within is incorrect, do not hold me responsible - I just did a quick testing of the new version - nothing extensive).

-javacool

8. lmontem

lmontem Guest

Hi this link doesn't link to anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.