(B&R) Backup Destination Full - How to manage?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bs27975, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bs27975

bs27975 Registered Member

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced

Hello.

I have been running nightly backups of my netbook to an external drive, which is now full. (The destination, that is.)

How do I manage the disk space so that the destination does not fill up?

e.g. I expected, when creating the scheduled job, that it would overwrite the destination files, not keep creating new ones. (Never mind debating the wisdom of that.)

- how do I get it to overwrite itself.
    - how do I get it to create a first master full (perhaps manually?), then specify incremental each day afterwards. (Again, managing its disk space available to not fill things up.) Perhaps re-running a full every Monday.
    - even better, how can I specify to run every other day? (I'd create two jobs / destination directories?)

I took a quick look through the manual, but didn't spot anything addressing this sort of thing.

Suggestions, links, pointers, advice, etc.?

TIA

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1) What kind of backup task did you schedule for nightly builds?
    If it is Differentials then you can remove old differentials to get some free space on target. Note: Do not remove first full backup! It will make all diff backups useless.
    If it is full backup you can simply remove old unnecessary backups.

2) About scheduled tasks: please have a look at the post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1748867&postcount=6

3) Note: you can create full backup and schedule diff backups based on full image, but this script will not work if full backup will be also scheduled.

3. bs27975

Full. Anything less is irrelevant. i.e. Anything less and you're into managing your backups when it should all be fire and forget.

Thus my expectation that each night's backup would overwrite the prior. (And the desire to set a schedule of every other day.)

Thanks. Sadly, I guess there's nothing for (automated) archive management within the software itself?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you want to overwrite the previous one - uncheck "generate unique filenames"

5. bs27975

DOH!

Thank you.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

LOL - you're welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.