B&R 2012 - options for Hot Processing gone?!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mindplay, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindplay

mindplay Registered Member

For some reason, B&R 2010 stopped working on my laptop - it started giving a strange error-message about 33% into the backup, and could no longer finish.

So I decided to remove it and installed B&R 2012 instead.

It works, but what used to take about 45 minutes now takes a full 5 hours with the Microsoft Volume Shadow technology instead of Paragon Hot Processing.

Going through the advanced settings, the drop-down where I used to be able to choose the Hot Processing technology, is now disabled (grayed out) and permanently set to slow, sad, depressing Microsoft VSS.

What have I done to deserve this?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Microsoft VSS isn't typically seen to be slow technology and most people used it even if the Paragon Hot Processing option was available. Sometimes there were "system" issues which gave errors when VSS was used and the easy fix was to change to Paragon Hot Processing. However, these errors could be caused by any number of problems and were not necessarily Paragon specific.

I would wonder why the previous version stopped working.

3. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

the PHP is an optional install component, if you need it installed you should have the option through the install process.

4. mindplay

Need it? ... Well, what about if I just want it? There was no option to install it. With the 2010 version is just came installed.

I reinstalled with the "Hotcore" option, which is the only option in the installer, and that didn't seem to change anything.

I tried several backup solutions using VSS before I discovered B&R 2010, and the result was always the same - B&R was orders of magnitude faster than anything other backup-app with hot/background processing that I could find.

The main reason I chose B&R was speed - I can only guess that this has something to with VSS vs the proprietary Paragon driver. Most Microsoft things don't tend to be optimized for speed. Or maybe the 2012 version is just that much slower on my system than the 2010 version? Seems unlikely.

I don't know why you would take away the Paragon hot processing option anyway. It was working great for me...

5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

First questions so I can verify for you, but what version of software are you using exactly?

Second thing is that the 'Hot Processing' option was installed by default with older versions, it was changed to an optional component, because people were requesting the ability to install without performing restarts, so it is now an optional component.

Third, I am not sure what issue you are having if you could please explain in more detail so I can assist you.

6. mindplay

I'm using Backup & Recovery 2012, downloaded a few days ago.

I just reinstalled with the "Hotcore" option, and after a reboot, the Paragon option now appears in the configuration screen!

It would make sense to use the name "Paragon Hot Processing" in the installer, since that's how we know it in the software - I had no idea "Hotcore" was the same thing, and by the looks of the installer, it was some optional component for Windows 2000.

It's also not clear after installing that the driver won't be available until after a reboot - the installer says that rebooting is optional, but neglects to mention why you would need to reboot.

I'm away for the weekend, but I look forward to comparing the speed early next week - I will post my results here for reference.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.