B&R 10 Suite runs System Backup - Why?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mikeg, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeg

mikeg Registered Member

I just installed B&R 10 Suite trial and purchased it quickly (to avoid missing the 30% off sale). I'd already done enough research to know I wanted a higher-end backup suite for greater control over options, scheduling and advanced features.

The first thing one encounters after install is System Backup starts running automatically and prompts you to select a destination to take an image backup. OK, I'm guessing Paragon wants to provide an easy first backup while you learn to use the full B&R 10 Suite. But for me this only generated confusion and frustration.

System Backup is too limited for my purposes. Choice of backup destination is restricted. It doesn't allow choice of destination folder. Scheduling and backup types are limited. It starts backing up without even giving you a chance to set exclusions. Once the backup starts there is no way to see what is being backed up and what options are in effect. System Backup is immediately set to auto-start by default--basically taking over your backup chores and completely ignoring the fact that you have B&R 10 Suite.

This brings up a number of questions for me:

1. Why present your limited, low-end backup tool to customers who are trying to evaluate a more advanced product? If I wanted simple backups that require very little configuration, I would just download B&R Free or System Backup.
    2. Why not prompt the user to ask if they want to use easy (SB) or advanced (B&R) backup?
    3. Why don't you include a popup message the first time explaining that two different products are included in the download and show basic differences between them? This would save new customers from confusion and having to cancel the automatic backup to research what the heck is going on.
    4. It appears SB has to be unlocked/registered seperately from B&R 10 Suite. If both are included, why not design the process to unlock both or at least include a pop-up message indicating both need to be registered?
    5. Is SB an integral part of the Suite? Can I just ignore it? Do I have to keep it installed on my system if I'm not going to use it?

Any advice from support team or experienced users will be appreciated!

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Mike,

I think you nailed it here.

I agree, it would be better if they gave an option to use SB or not, instead of having it start automatically.

You can get rid of it by taking it out of startup under msconfig.

If I remember correctly, you can then just delete the folder, if it bothers you.

Can't recall which one it is offhand. Program 2 , I think - just have a peek inside and see which it is.

It would be even bettr if the .msi installer had an "advanced" or "custom" option where you can deselect before installation.

Fortunately, the DB Pro part is excellent.

3. mikeg

mikeg Registered Member

SIW2 to the rescue again! If Paragon isn't paying you, they should at least give you free upgrades for life. :)

I like your msi installer option. Seems like scripting a Smart Backup to kick off automatically would be another alternative to using System Backup. Any or all of these ideas would be better than Paragon dropping a limited product in front of users who are trying to evaluate or have just purchased a more advanced product. A simple explanation during initial install would avoid a lot of confusion for new users.

In fact, info in several places suggests System Backup is essential. If you go to Add or Remove Programs to remove System Backup the feature description says "Provides facilities to configure a fully automated backup strategy." Also when comparing B&R Suite to B&R Home, "Automated Backup Policy" is one of the few major things besides P2V Restore that's not in the Home edition. I'm building my backup strategy today, so I'll soon have personal experience as to whether SB is required for a fully automated strategy.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.