B&R 10 - Operation failed. Object not found.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by web, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. web

web Registered Member

I installed the above program and it was running just great. I backed up C and D partitions and then restored same with no problems. I tried several other backups and then exited the program. A few minutes later I tried to open the program and got the following error: "Operation failed. Object not found". I pressed on "More options" and received the following message: "Error source: Object Manager. Error code: 0x000002".

I uninstalled, and then, reinstalled the program, but get the same results. This, I beleive, is a great program but I need help to get it running again.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I'm not quite sure what's going on here. So after closing the program, and running it again, you receive that error?

Try going into your folder and run Launcher.exe

C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition\program\Launcher.exe

3. web

web Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I worked with the program, did a backup and a restore, checked back in after the restore and then shut down the program. Sometime later I tried to open the program, and got the messages I quoted.

Since then I have restored an earier "other" backup, reinstalled Backup & Recovery 10 and will monitor over the next few days. I really want it to work because I like this program. If this problem reappears I will use your suggestion. Thanks again.

4. Abyryxt

Abyryxt Registered Member

I have very similar case.
    After starting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Paragon Software\Backup and Recovery 10 Free Edition\program\launcher.exe"
    I can see splash screen:

Welcome.JPG

and than I get the message: "Operation failed. Object not found":

Operation failed.JPG

Please advice what's wrong?

5. Paragon_Tommy

6. Abyryxt

Abyryxt Registered Member

Hello Paragon_Tommy,

Thank you for your reply.

On your advice I have sent a Support Request to Paragon Technical Support.

7. Waschbaer

Waschbaer Registered Member

Hi all,

I had the same problem and have a open ticket for 3 days know, I sent the logfiles, but for now I got no answer.

Reinstalling of Drive Backup 10 didn't solve the problem.

I need the system so I did some research by myself.

After deleting the archive_db folder the SW works as it schould.
    By rebuilding the archive database using the files of the backed up data I got a error message at some point, telling me a object could not be found.
    It was the folder of an DIFF Backup I didn't really need, so I removed that folder from the disk holding the backups and the problem has gone.

So I guess corrupt data in the stored backup data were the reason why Drive Backup displayed the error message during the scan of the folders.

I still wait for an answer from Paragon was the error 0x1000002 is.

Question: Is there a table for the translation of the error numbers?

RFE: Print meaningful error messages

Bye
    Waschbaer

8. Waschbaer

Waschbaer Registered Member

!! I got that error again!!

Looks like the problem is reproduceable on my system.

After running the DIFF backup of drice C: (Bootdisk) triggered by the scheduler the error 0x1000002 is there again.

I made a backup of the archive_db folder and deleted it afterwards, now Drive Backup starts again.

Now I have:

- the archive_db folder
    - the job for the scheduler
    - the files (filestructure) of the backed up data

What should I do now?

Paragon_Tommy, any hints?

My ticket ID is 2920304

/Waschbaer

9. kreil

kreil Registered Member

Hello, Waschbaer!

I got the same problem under the following circumstances:

Create a full backup (with a fixed name),
    Create a differential backup,
    Rerun the full backup.

In that situation, the old differential backup refers to the old full backup, which does not exist anymore, giving the "missing object" error.

Waschbaer, I would like trying to delete the archive_db folder that you mention but cannot find it.

Can you perhaps help me by saying where the archive_db folder is located?

To Paragon:
    The right thing for the software to do when replacing a full backup with dependent differential backups would be to also delete the differential backups.

When there is an inconsistency in the archive database, the software should at least start and allow a rebuild.

Best regards,
    David.

10. Paragon_Tommy

The archive_db folder is located in your C: root by default.

Once you delete the folder, you'll find that Paragon's archive list will be empty and simply need to re-add the archives.

11. kreil

kreil Registered Member

Fantastic!

So we have a functioning work-around :)

I summarize:

When you overwrite or delete a full backup on which a differential backup is based without then deleting the differential backup, this can create an inconsistency in the archive database. The next time you start the backup launcher program, this then gives an Object not found error. (The missing object presumably being the full archive that was overwritten or deleted and is hence gone, but still referenced by the differential backup in the database.)

To resolve this, one can delete the archive_db folder.
    It seems to be located in the root directory of the first partition. (Probably on the first drive.) Usually that is the C: drive, for me it was the D: drive.

One can then start the backup launcher program without an error. To repopulate the archive database, use the Add an Archive to the Database... function in the Archives menu from the top menu bar of the program window.

My old archives now verify with no errors and all is well.

Many thanks to Waschbaer and Paragon_Tommy for their help!

To Paragon: In general, it would be helpful if the launcher would not just exit after an error. Please also consider catching the inconsistencies from overwriting or deleting a full archive without deleting the dependant differential archives.

Best wishes,
    David.

12. kreil

kreil Registered Member

PS: Apparently overwriting an archive with a fixed name is sufficient to trigger the issue (no need for a differential archive based on it).

Which raises the question of how to have a scheduled backup that updates a full archive (i.e., overwrites the old archive)... Paragon?

13. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Kriel,

What you can do is add these additional lines to the script

before "//backup"

add

FILEDELETE ("C:\arc_111209202039625\arc.PBF")
    FILEDELETE ("C:\arc_111209202039625\arc.PFM")

of course edit the path to your specific files.

What it will do is separate the deleting and writing into two separate script sub-task.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.