B&R 10 needs excluse access to Volume C:

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by SteveInLondon, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveInLondon

SteveInLondon Registered Member

Hi,

I'm running B&R 10 Home Edition on a Windows XP SP3 PC, and have happily been doing so since its release. Now, whenever I try to create a new backup (whether differential or full), I get the message that B&R needs exclusive access to Volume C: and that it needs to restart the computer.

However, when the computer restarts & B&R runs, it comes up with an error message that states it cannot open or create a file (it doesn't say which or what file) and stops.

Other points are that trying to use VSS fails after three attempts (Windows VSM is running though). I have run CHKDSK and there don't seem to be any problems with the drive.

HELP!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Did you run chkdsk with the /r switch so it does a read-check of all the files and even unused sectors? If not, I would do so.

3. SteveInLondon

Yes, I've done that - the volume is "clean". I've also tried switching off System Restore.

The issue seems to be solely to do with the C: drive partition of my hard disk, I can do a full back up of the second partition (D:) without a problem.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It could be that some application or process has been installed/started that won't release its hold on C:.

Have you installed anything new since it last worked? Obviously, something has changed since it did work. May be a Windows update but my XP portable is up-to-date and still is OK but I may be at B&R11 on it.

Try shutting off any anti-virus program.

You might look in MSConfig and see what is there and IIRC, you can revert to MS-only stuff for loading at startup.

What happens if you try to make your backup by booting the recovery CD and using it?

5. SteveInLondon

Well, progress of a sort. I tried disabling as many services via msconfig as I thought safe and disactivating Norton, but still without success - intriguingly there was a message about access being denied & that I might need administrator privilege (which I do have). However, everything seemed to have been switched off as it should have been.

So the next step I tried was to use msconfig to configure a diagnostic startup. Once Windows had loaded, I restarted VSM and ran Paragon to produce a full back up of the C: drive. This time it didn't even try VSS, but said that to continue it needed to restart. When I restarted the machine, the backup ran successfully before Windows loaded. Hurray!

Now I need to track down what is blocking the backup in Windows. I suspect that this might take some time! I let you know how I get on, but in the mean time, thanks a lot for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.