B&R 10.1 Free - What partion should I backup/schedule?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by pegas, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi folks,

First off, sorry if my question sounds silly but I am a newbie as far as backup/imaging solutions are concerned.

I have a VAIO with the following partitions:
    First Hard Disk Track -> MBR
    Local Disk (*) - hidden recovery partition
    Local Disk (C: ) - primary partition

I have made the full backup (i.e. all partitions) and I would like to know how to go on.
    If I correctly understand capabilities of B&R 10.1 Free, I can schedule a differential backup but there is also a cyclic backup which, however, enables backup only one partition.
    So what do you recommend?
    Should I schedule a differential backup to the made full backup? Or should I keep the full backup separately and schedule a Cyclic backup of only primary partition (C: ) instead? I want to have the best backup schedule/scenario in case of a fatal failure.

Thx for your advices.
    pegas

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Cyclic backup is not available in Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition. I would recommend backing up all 3 objects; since the first two are relatively small, continue to do a differential backup for all 3 objects.

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thx Tommy for your suggestion. I have set a differential backup to the full already made.

BTW, I have a cyclic backup in the free version, pls see below.
    snap.JPG

Something is not correct? Does it change your suggestion as regards my topic question?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Paragon_Tommy

Since the MBR and recovery partition never changes, you can backup those two independently once, and then use cyclic backup for the system partition. During the restore process, you will have to restore one at a time.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK thx. Hopefully last question :D
    If I would need to restore at which sequence I should restore backups? I mean if the MBR+recovery at first and then the system partition or vice versa?
    Thx for your patience with me.

6. Paragon_Tommy

I would restore the Recovery Partition first, then the system partition, and finally the MBR. In most cases with a single OS machine, it's not necessary to restore the MBR, the program takes care of that by writing a generic MBR after it detects your OS. If you do have a much more complex machine with multiple OSes, then you want to restore the MBR last. But rule of thumb to restore partitions is left to right.

7. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Very clear, many thanks Tommy for all the information provided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.