AxCrypt Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by jpcummins, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Does AxCrypt encrypt files or does it just lock folders? I am using the program and to me it looks as though it just locks the folders. If anyone knows for sure I would appreciate knowing. Thanks in advance.

John

2. 842x5

842x5 Registered Member

I am using AxCrypt since a couple of years and it works great. It does definitely encrypt files.

3. Itsy

Itsy Registered Member

Been using it for years. It encrypts individual files.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Agree with the above. It does not encrypt folders at all... only files.

5. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

I used to use AXCrypt on my 32 bit xp, but I encountered some problems when trying to use it on 64 bit platforms.

But I recently discovered that 7-zip now offers compression AND encryption in its opensource free software.

7-zip is here

One can leave the file name or change it, encrypt it in different formats, or make an .exe file that will prompt for the decrypting password when double clicked upon. That way if you have to share the file you can do it even when your buddies don't use 7-zip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

To add to Stefan's post, 7-Zip can also do the same thing as a .7z archive file, in case you don't want to use the .sfx extension. And I agree, it is an excellent alternative to AxCrypt.

Beyond that, why would anyone NOT want to use 7-Zip? :D I've looked at several archive handling programs and to me, it's clearly the best! Simple, yet powerful. (If you don't want to install it, there is even a portable version http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable )

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Because 7-zip does not encrypt file itself after you close it. I use AxCrypt and it is true, that in 64-bit there are some issues, but nothing that bad. ;)
    Decrypting works almost all the time and after closing eg a document, it will encrypt it itself. As for encrypting (via a shell), you have to run 32-bit explorer.
    Code:
    C:\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.