AVS will remain free AFAIK

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I contected AVS's support and got this reply:

Dear ***********, When the license key expires, the program will continue working, except that you will not be able to update threat signatures. As before, you will be able to scan your computer for viruses and use the protection components, but only using the threat signatures that you had when the license expired. We cannot guarantee that you will be protected from viruses that surface after your program license expires.

To avoid infecting your computer with new viruses, we recommend extending your Active Virus Shield license. The program will notify you two weeks prior to the expiration of your license. For two weeks the program will display this message every time you open it. To extend your license, you must obtain a new activation code. To do so:

1. Go to www.activevirusshield.com

2. Activate the program using the activation code. To do so:

a. Select the Tools section in the main window of the program and left-click anywhere in the License information section.

b. If you have a program activation code, click the Activate button in the license manager window and activate the program with the Wizard. For any questions or concerns, please visit www.activevirusshield.info. If there is anything we can do to better assist you, please let us know. Best regards, AOL Support Team
    -----Original Message-----
    Subject: Re: 232066 : **********: License expiration

Dear Sir,

Affter the license expiration, will the program still be free or will go commercial?

thanx in advance,

Mina

My comment:
    So even if you won't renew your registration, you can use kaspersky's db zip files. ;)

2. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

I believe (let's hope I'm wrong) that after the expiration period you must pay a fee to continue using the product. Something similar to various AV (CA, McAfee...) and the Microsoft deal of one year use.

AOL is not known for being charitable foundation :D

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't personally like AOL but they have changed the way they do business. They give away AVS but did you know that they also give away The full McAfee security suite and all it takes to get it is an aol email account which is free. info here http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter/virus It contains the following

Attached Files:

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Wouldn't submitting another eMail address access another license key? Wishful thinking I suppose....

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

YES, it would!

Dave

Support software piracy: someone must!

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I couldn't get this McAfee Security Suite for some reason. My account was not able to activate the security service. :doubt:

7. minacross

minacross Registered Member

no mention for McAfee SS, only AOL Security Suite o_O

Attached Files:

8. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

I used the same e-mail address 2 or 3 times (but I installed AVS in a single PC)

9. Firecat

AOL Security Suite uses McAfee Firewall, McAfee VirusScan and eTrust PestPatrol engines. :)

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

AVS sometimes send two or three codes at a time. I haven't checked
    whether they re-activate the service or all of them expire at the same
    time.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I thought one of the earlier post said that AOL AVS uses the Kaspersky Antivirus scan engine? Did that change? Is this another program? o_O

12. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

AVS uses Kaspersky.

The AOL Security Suite, totally different product (but free also), uses McAfee.

13. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

I couldn't get it too:( I don't understand why because I have an AOL e-mail address but I see this:

14. Firecat

I have noticed that if you get an AOL email account from www.aim.com rather than www.aol.com, then you are denied access to the AOL Safety and Security Center. I have tried this personally yesterday. So, you will need to create an account from aol.com if you need Safety and Security Center.

15. bigc73542

You get your AOL e-mail account at aol. see screen shot

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I would like to know, if someone knows if when the free license expire, we can have another one with the same email account?

Thanks

17. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Has anybody taken the time to read the EULA for AOL AVS?

I did browse through it for about 15 minutes or so. To sum it all up it was pretty much "bend over and let us do as we please, when we please". Talking about how they could discontinue the software at any time or modify it and whatnot. All sorts of interesting stuff in there. I almost feel, after read that, that I really don't feel like using AVS anymore.

Anybody else have any thoughts on their EULA?

18. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah that pretty much sums up the deal. I'm actually likeing avs quite a lot at the moment, its light and with the kaspersky engine its effective. As long as it remains that way i'll keep using it. It didn't cost me nothing so if they decide to change things for the worse in the future i'll just drop it like its hot.

19. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I can't seem to get the download to work. I created an email account. As I'm in the UK I keep getting automatically re-directed to the UK site so I'm wondering if this isn't available to UK.

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm from australia and i downloaded the setup file with no hassles. I didn't need to create an account or anything just registered my email address so i could get the activation key.

Did you go here - http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp

21. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I have been able to get AVS no problem, it was the AOL badged McAfee Security Suite that Bigc mentioned that I can't download.

22. bigc73542

Here is what I discovered. you have to use Internet Explorer to download the security suite. but after the download you can use any browser. Bigc

23. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

AVS quickly became my favorite AV and there wasn't one thing I can think of that I didn't like about it, but as I have stated in the Kaspersky Chkdsk problem fact or fiction thread I started here in this forum, even a hint of what some people are claiming worries me a bit. I would appreciate it if anyone who already hasn't would post their feelings on this there. I want to install AVS again and use it, as it complimented my Comodo Firewall very well. I don't usually believe everything I read, but this Chkdsk thing seems very real. Thanks everyone.

24. DaveD

DaveD Guest

The EULA also had a section about AOL being allowed to display advertising and popups and junk like that.

Has anybody experienced that?
    Do you think AOL would do that?

25. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I'm not sure I could put it past them. That's kinda why I avoided AVS. I like it and everything but the EULA is just...no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.