AVs having a real impressive day

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Come on! how come SBIE and PE only can tel u for sure that a file is malware!

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Is there a reason why symantec was not tested?

trjam and dr.web :D.

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Well of course you know sandboxie feature of multiple sandboxes running at the same time.I open the the suspicious file in one sandbox and the genuine from the vendor site in other sandbox.Other than the fact that i have some experience ,this simple method never failed me until now.There is also hijack this,and if u grant it, for example direct acces in the sandbox,you will have a accurate picture(not 100%procent like a real pc but very close) ,of what the "suspicious"file does.Since all of this can be done with freeware tools try for yourself ,don't have to take my word for it.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

ShadowSever needs to learn how to make a website, GAWD it's awful trying to look at it with a 19" CRT, the need to scroll the site left and right to look at it.

That webmaster should be horse whipped, LOL... :blink:

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

That is a *spanish* dialer, hence no wonder that Panda detects that ofc. The only question remaining now is why on earth is that sample so many times on their server. I assume what they are detecting is the dialer *DLL* files. There is another executable together with it. The whole dialer package is known as Montil Dialer. So it could be possible that this specific dialer dll has some "manual polymorphism" (server side) and that there are quite some different binaries of that file.

Mike

6. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Update: Just added detection for it so just forget it now :D

7. noway

noway Registered Member

Is that Kaspersky 3.0 they used with virus definitions from 1999.12.25 ?

(When they don't post any details like versions numbers, I don't consider the results credible.)

8. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Same old psychological problem I have seen displayed here hundreds of times. If your AV is low rated, there must be something wrong with the test. If your AV is highly rated, the test is credible.

10. flyrfan111

Huh? My answer had zero to do with whether the test is valid or not. Someone said they didn't post version numbers, I said they did. I did not state one way or the other how any of the AV's I use do/did, or what my opinion of the validity of said tests were.

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Quoting you was not a response to you, but rather I was making a generic observation of the statement you responded to. No criticism intended, and you simply provided the fact that the scanner engine versions are delineated:) .

12. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

cor, look at m:D c:D a:D f:D e:D e:D ! :argh: :argh:

13. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

LOLS! Stop doing that it makes me laugh each time.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

N:D O:D R:D T:D O:D N:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

16. Bunkhouse Buck

Agreed. Probably more reflective of an AV's ability (or lack thereof) to stop zero-day malware which exists in the real world.

17. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

18. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Norman is doing great the last days

19. Frisk

Frisk AV Old-Timer

The results look fine, sure...but I have a really hard time believing that the majority of the programs (including my own F-prot6) are really doing this well against threats that are out there - I mean, the majority with 99%+ ??

It also seemed a bit odd when suddenly a large number of samples of a particular piece of malware appeared that were only detected by one program, so that program got 99% on that day and the others got all 68% or so. What makes this odd is that on that day we did not receive a *single* copy of that particular malware from sources like VirusTotal, Jotti or others like that, so it was clearly not in wide distribution.

I'm wondering whether someone is feeding samples like that into the system for one reason or another, but that is just pure speculation, of course.

20. flyrfan111

Yes, I have wondered exactly where they get their samples from as well. I keep an eye on this site, but i am, like a lot of others here, not sure what to make of it.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several posts removed including a private message. If anyone has any questions contact an administrator.

No private messages or emails are to be posted in the forums per the Terms of Service.

22. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

its just strange isn't it? one day an av is really good, next day is crap... the tests don't really seem stable and reliable to me. any opinions?

23. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Have a look at weekly, monthly or yearly stats... scroll down and it'll be on the left

24. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Very intresting results the way F-Secure detected far more than Kaspersky (although they were the same malware names)... Settings of products play a very large role in the results.
    z.PNG

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no not really. Deep Guard is catching most that dont have a Kaspersky signature. F-Secure is really very underated in its ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.