av's giving trojans?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by scott lang, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

some guy over on pcpitstop stated this:

You will also need to run a spyware scan because Norton and other AV programs will D/L a few trojans when you register and update them

does anyone know if this is true. he also said this:

Yes. They are either coming from the server or from the company themselves. If you are running Norton and you turn off automatic updates, you will notice that every time you start your system and every so often while your system is running, the Norton program will contact sysmantect even when auto update is turned off. Norton wants to know everything that you are doing on your computer.

If you are running a paid for firewall such as Zone Alarm, It will pop up a warning everytime Norton phones home. They started this with the 2004 version of norton AV. It is not in prior versions. many other companies are doing the same thing. ZA will popup a warning when these programs phone home for no apparent reson.

and this:

Any program that has the capability of searching for and D/Ling anything on its own IS a Trojan. A program that looks for updates and automatically D/Ls them has a Trojan component to it. A company may tell you that they will only D/L the updates, but when you allow this action, you also allow them to D/L anything they wish.

When updates are turned off and a program still must contact something anyways, this is considered a Trojan because it has a self executing feature that has no user interaction to cause it to execute. Many programs will require re-installation when the self executable programs are removed.

It may seem ridiculous now but so was the concept of spyware and big brother several years ago.

Nobodys laughing anymore..

i was laughing. cuz, i told him i have my nis2004 set to manuall and i dont get any prgs from norton trying to access anything till i tell it to.
    could someone post a reply to this so i can post it to him and either prove his point or make him resend his info.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I ran norton system works for a few years and on manual updates it never tried to call home unless I updated .

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

Steve

am not quite certain what it is you are saying. But I can not speak a word about norton because I don't use it. I do however own two copies of norton......just never install.

This guy said:

****Any program that has the capability of searching for and D/Ling anything on its own IS a Trojan. A program that looks for updates and automatically D/Ls them has a Trojan component to it. A company may tell you that they will only D/L the updates, but when you allow this action, you also allow them to D/L anything they wish.*******

Now..if the program is NOT set for automatic updates...PLUS..if its not set to give NOTICE before installing......then yes I would very much agree that its trojan related.....the vendor may not appreciate the term but nonetheless its a trojan. This has been openly discussed extensively over the years.

As for the "call-home" question.....a few years ago zone alarm use to call home to check for updates....it wasn't tolarated......an was considered the same as spyware by many.

Please note that because a company is selling security products that does not make it special nor immune...if anything the company should be held to very strict behavior.......in fact, the same applies to websites.

Is the Code of Conduct being kept..........

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

sorry..hit the wrong botton and posted to soon...will finish.

BigC just made my next point......if a program is manually updated that certainly is not trojan behavior.........is the program is set to AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE....that certainly IS NOT trojan behavior.......

There is a certain business relationship between the vendor and the owner...both are suppose to abide by it........either can violate........but for the most part venors are honest...just making a living.....an wont risk ruining their reputations.......its their livelyhood....over the years I have installed thousands of programs....install four programs just tonight......AN HAVE NEVER HAD A PROGRAM CALL-HOME......NEVER!!!!!!
    So, if asked: IS THE CODE BEING KEPT...my reply would have to be a resounding YES......an to the tribute of software vendors everywhere.......

Norton's profits are astounding this year..an growing...why would they risk their reputation??

The guy may not fully understand the meaning of what is considered trojan type behavior........an there are questions of is the program set correctly...FE: just today I tryed an anti virus program....a botton in the program is placed to near the website name..miss the botton...it will contact the website.......not the programs fault..I missed the botton......my fault.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

Final comment

this "GUY" may also be over-stepping alittle...see I don't quite understand his statement...

now...if you..me..anyone...updates a program...is the guy saying the program is a trojan simple because its searches for updateso_O If thats his statement.............meaning the company can install "any-old-thing"........consider just how foolish that would be...the vendor would be easily caught and the program ruined....how would the vendor gain by thato_O?

please note that the comments made regard HONEST VENDORS......not the flight-by-night type....aka: spyware vendors

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

curiousgeorge - I've removed your post as it was off-topic to the discussion in this thread. Please refrain from making personal and off-topic comments. Thank you.

Regards,

snap

7. scott lang

i wasnt sayin i agreed with him on the contrary i told him that was ridiculous.

8. scott lang

anyhow, one guy over there got all tiffy about the fact i disagreed with this other guy(not mentioning names, so as not to cause any more probs) about the norton trojans thing. at any rate i think its been forgotten now anyway. since they havent booted me off the forum over there or anything. its jus one misguided persons opinion who i chalk up to jus being pigheaded bout his i know everything attitude, and wont admit when hes not entirely right about everything he says.

9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Guys,
    I'd love to stay and chat, but I have to update all my Trojans......
    My Norton Trojan, Adaware & Spybot Trojans, Windows Update Trojan, CWS & HJT Trojans etc.....
    .....Sounds like utter codswallop....I hope!
    Buck.

10. Moore

Moore Registered Member

o_O why would you run a spyware scanner to look for trojans ?

I'm sure they cant sleep at night when they dont get the daily info on what I've been up to.. I've Never had auto updates enabled , and never had any blocks to or from symantec , so looks like they owe me a few years worth of trojans.. :cool:

11. scott lang

like i said this dude is a type of guy that THINKS he KNOWS EVERYTHING. no 1 person knows EVERYTHING. just like this other guy on the same forum saying stuff about the 1.3.1TX ver of spybot. they wont use it and they got onto me for telling a few people there who were having probs with the dso exploits to go to majorgeeks and get it. he even pasted a thread from here, which he didnt know i was in, statin a comment about why we shouldnt use it. that post was a copy from the official link that someone had posted as a thing to discuss about, snowballin his theory on why i shouldnt reccommend it. i said you didnt read the entire thread now did ya? havent heard back yet. i like that forum but they have some really pigheaded people as admins. over there. i ran into 3 now. so far the best forums i use is wilders, windows, and pcpitstop. i wont mention the hardheaded one unless someone jus wants to know. this forum and the other 2 have the absolute smartest people and i value any advice givin to me from here and them. without the help i have recieved from here and the other 2 places i would be up the creek. if i could i would rate wilders right off the top of the scale for the most nicest, kindest, and willingness to help in any way they can. and i most definately will always tell people to come here and the other 2 places if they need assistance.

thank you, scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.