Avoiding MitM attacks on open wifi networks

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Gullible Jones, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'll be away from home the next few days, and probably my only available internet access will be through unencrypted or WEP-encrypted wifi.

I'd like to be able to check up on certain forums (including this one!) that don't use HTTPS. I don't care about anonymity, or about being proof against government wiretapping, or anything that involves a high degree of paranoia. However, I do care about preventing any schmoe with a packet sniffer from snagging my login credentials.

Is there any way I can do this? An HTTPS proxy that I can access unencrypted sites through, maybe? You'll have to forgive my ignorance, I don't know a whole lot about the privacy end of things. ;)

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You could use a VPN or SSH into a computer back at your house.

3. Hmm, hadn't thought of using SSH. I'm keeping my home network shut down though.

VPN looks like a possibility. OTOH I'm not sure I want to pay for something I'll only be using for a couple days, and I'm not sure how much I'd trust a free VPN. Are there VPNs where you can pay by bandwidth or by day, instead of a monthly subscription or whatever?

(Or mayhap I could just avoid logging in to unencrypted sites. Gods know I spend too much time online anyway.)

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's like 4 dollars a month for a VPN, I dobut you'll get a much better deal.

5. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

As Hungry said, SSH and or VPN (paid or user made) will be your best bet. I'd also like to add this site does support encrypted browsing.

6. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You can put Team Viewer on a box at your house, log in, and surf through that.

You can install Hamachi and Free Proxy at home, put your Hamachi IP and Free Proxy port in your browser as the proxy, and surf through that.

Both need installs at home and on your laptop.

2 free ways.

PD

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

You can use HTTPS in this forum! :thumb:
    In the bottom of the page: "SSL"

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. focus

focus Registered Member

AlwaysVPN is a US based metered service. You pay for what you use, not a monthly fee. Good for regular browsing and email type services. If you are into streaming video or heavy uploading or downloading a monthly service is better.

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi Gullible Jones

You could try SecurityKISS - VPN Service, which gives you 300MB free usage a day with the free version.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.