avoiding hacking ???

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by chercat, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chercat

chercat Registered Member

I was recently hacked into on my 98se , with all patches , running a firewall and AVG free ver. with updates .
    Long story , but I ended up reformatting , or attempting to reformat the HD since I could not get the Registry changes they had made to stay undone .

ANyway , my pc mfg, helped me reformat , but they neglected to tell me that I had to go into internet options and click on nevr dial out .Actually , this is the default so not sure how that happened . I did have a cable modem attached and , unknown to me , the phone plug was still in the computer from when I used to use dial -up.

No , a friend is helping me to refomat again. I am going to be using DSL with a router , but need more help from him to get it started .

I have not installed the drivers for the 56k modem and there is no phone plug in the computer now .
    He told me not to install the modem drivers because we would not be using that - we would hook up the DSL modem when he comes over in person.

I used a 98SE update disc from MS to load the patches without having to go online, and they included a disc from EZ Trust with a firewall so those are in.
    Now , my question is : Is it at all possible that they can hack into me using the Internet Connection wizard to dial out since I do not have the phone plugged into the computer ? He tells me no - don't worry, but they got in before and now I am a wreck.

I am typing this on the libraryr computer now and I cannot wait for him to get some free time to hook up the DSL modem and router .

I did install the spyblaster 3.2 but it would not run - saw the error message on another forum and it said install the latest Virtual Machine , something or other from the MS site and that may be ok now that I was able to update all the patches with the security CD Micorsoft sent me .

I really love going online but I want to feel safe and enjoy the experience .

Any advice against hacking and how to prevent this from happening again after my clean install and new DSL modem are hooked up would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The router will do more to keep "hackers" out than anything else you could do.
    A software firewall to tell you what is trying to call out is also good to have.

Be careful what you download and put on your computer. That is the easy way in for a lot of spyware, viruses, and other malware.

Keep everything up to date, use a good antivirus along with your other programs and go have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.