avoiding hackers

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rita, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi
    i have a question about something i just read about computers.It said to always turn the computer off at night when not using to avoid hackers.I have two questions:is there any truth in this?and how would that do any good?I usually leave mine online all the time unless i have to make a phone call.if you have a firewall etc.what difference would this make(only for the reason there would be more time for a hacker to mess with you)
    just wondering
    rita

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Rita,

There is just a little truth in it. The idea is targeted more to users who have no clue about computer security (does not apply to you). For someone who has no firewall, no windows updates, no anti virus, shutting off the computer when it is not used would be a good idea. But it still wouldn't help enough because they would be hit with the first worm attacks within 20 minutes of going online. It would be similar to unpluging your phone line when you are not online. No malware can jump through an air gap (except through wireless networking). Even if you have a malware dialer installed, it couldn't connect. Script Kiddie port scans also can't attack a computer that is turned off or unplugged from the net.
    Port scans did not use to happen this much a while ago, now it is very common. Dial up users with their changing IP numbers could escape from the scans. Not anymore. Port scans on dial up are pretty common now.
    Now let's say you suspect you have been hacked, rootkit and trojans installed and operational. Shutting off the computer (or unplugging from the net) would prevent them from calling home. But as soon as you turn it on or plug it into the net, the malware will call home immediately. A skilled cracker would probably be able to get all the important info from the computer within minutes or seconds anyway. After they get the info, most would probably just use the computer for a spambot, DOS attack pawn, or a server for cracked software.

I don't think it is a practical idea any more. Much better would be to put to use the great ideas learned here at Wilder's. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Devinco
    i think so to.I thought it was an absurb idea to prevent hackers by turning off the puter.thanks for your input
    rita

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Ha Ha. That's exactly why I leave mine ON! I'm well prepared, and looking for a good fight. Bring 'em on! :D

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Heck if I have to run to the store for ten minutes I turn my comp off. I have replaced enough cooling fans and hard drives that just wore out when I had my shop I can't just let my three cooling fans and the Hdd sit there running for nothing. I can restart in just a few seconds and besides it gives windows a chance to do a little house cleaning when it reboots. ;) But it is not for security reasons.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm with you bigc. They run much to hot these days and the fans drag dust into the box.

7. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

heh I typed out this pretty long reply and after re-reading it, the general idea is pretty much the same as Devinco's. The time one is on and off their computer is not going to make a large difference if the computer is not secured and if the user is not doing anything to manage their security risks. People who believe strongly in this idea are more or less playing the odds game and the game of chance with having their computer off rather than on.

Keep up to date with the risks that are out there (especially the ones which you think you are likely to encounter). Good response Devinco :)

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey Bigc and Ron
    think i'll start turning mine off because of the fans etc.mine runs 24 hrs a day didnt even think about heating--Im just gonna have to get some sense :D no wonder mine are about shot(computers)glad to read these posts
    thanks
    rita

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Rerun
    thank you for your suggestions
    rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.