AVK 2005 Update Problem?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Grumble, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Anyone else not getting updates from GData for the past 12 hours?

Defs on my machine are KAV 4849 and BD 910, yet GD AntiVirusLab shows KAV up to 4863 and BD 925. Hourly checks keep returning 'You already have the current version' for both.

Problem with the weekend crew at GData or with me?

2. chia

chia Registered Member

Not just you. I have the same updates that you do (KAV 4849 & BD 910). Hopefully it will straighten itself out soon.

3. Grumble

Thanks chia. :)

I will wait patiently for my daily ration of updates. :D

4. Grumble

Okay, looks like someone at GD woke up about an hour or two ago - updates resumed - KAV now 4878 BD 935. Man, I get antsy when that happens. ;)

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am using the Extendia AVK Single kav engine as a back up and scheduled system scan and I did not get any kav update until this morning either.
    This has happened before about a year ago, no kav updates for about one and a half days.

6. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

LMAO you guys need to relax.

I have Dr.Web set to update only once per week, of course emergency updates come through anyway during outbreaks. But once a week is more than sufficient.

Stop being so paranoid. LOL

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I want hourly updates :p:D

8. The Maxx

The Maxx Registered Member

If you want hourly updates then that would mainly be AVK Pro, Dr. Web (not hourly but pretty close) and of course some others. If you're using NOD32 still I don't think thats hourly at all, thats more daily then anything.

My question is which is better eXtendia AVK Pro or the GData AVK Pro?

9. Grumble

GData AVK 2005 is the superior product - it runs lighter than eXtendia and the Bitdefender engine updates far more frequently than RAV. On price, eXtendia wins, since it is available deeply discounted.

10. The Maxx

The Maxx Registered Member

Bad thing is GData AVK Pro's free trial offers no updates. Unless theres a different trial somewhere else. Not sure if eXtendia's trial offers updated or not.

11. Grumble

Don't know about trials The Maxx, I just finally got so pi**ed with McAfee one day that I uninstalled VS9 and purchased AVK Pro from GData's site in Germany without a trial. It installed and ran perfectly from the start and I remain very pleased with it. I quess a trial without updates would at least allow you to verify that it installs and runs ok on your machine without conflicts.

12. hollingwood

hollingwood Registered Member

I downloaded a trial version of Gdata recently and then realised that no updates were available in the trial version. I liked the program which seems very solid and stable but I agree with other posts that in a product like an antivirus, part of a trial period should include how it updates and how often. Since Gdata updates the Kav and Bitdefender engines very often I would have thought that this was one of the points that could impress people taking the trial and a good selling point for the program.
    I emailed Gdata to give my view and to suggest that they might make the trial say 30 days including updates for a proper appraisal as others do. They did reply, carefully ignoring my suggestion and just saying that updates were only available in the paid and registered version.
    Rather than stomp off in a huff, I had a good think, and based on what I thought of the program and many other posts in favour of the KAV and Bitdefender engines I decided to take the plunge and buy the program.
    I can't fault the program- I have it set to look for updates every hour and you get so used to it updating quietly several times a day, that if it has a rest and goes for a day without an update, which as has been said does happen from time to time, panic sets in that something is wrong!
    In all a good antivirus.
    Hollingwood

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think eXtendia AVK does no longer have updates for the RAV engine (I'm not sure).

NOD32's daily updates are alright for me, I want hourlies as an added bonus :D

Frequent updates are very important for AVs without very good heuristics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.