AVK 2005 Pro English Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Access Denied, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

How often do they update anti-virus definitions?

bibbe

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Once every couple of days I believe it is like 3 times a week but if there is even a minor breakout then they update more often. HTH

3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I second everything you just said liquidkewl.

4. How much does this cost in American Dollars?

Can we Americans buy it or do we have to contend with that dreadful "Boomerang Software" which sells the outdated KAV/RAV version?

5. Access Denied

39.95 was what I paid for it in US$. When you click on the buy link on the GData site, you can select English as your language before buying. Element 5 handles the purchases for them and is quite fast with your key after buying.

6. Thanks.. I may actually consider buying it later. How are the Heuristics on this AV program? Does anyone know?

Thanks

7. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I Don't know but Bitdefender engine has good heuristics so if this is enabled it should be good.

Cheers

Jlo

8. Access Denied

KAV was second only to NOD32 in the test I last seen so that along with BD, it should be top notch overall.

9. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Sounded promising from what I was hearing, but still not fast enough on my machine. (only acceptable so far is NOD32 and McAfee VS Enterprise) My start-up is 10-20 seconds slower. A slight delay seems to be there when I try to launch IE, though it is substantially less than the previous version. Guess I'll have to wait for a machine upgrade (P4-M 1.6ghz, 512mb)

10. dan_maran

That is odd, I am running it on a Celeron M 1.4 right now and I have no delays to speak of. I did not install the little virus widget though maybe that could be an issue? Anyhow NOD is always a good choice, especially here. lol

11. elgy

elgy Registered Member

This MUST be wrong! I cannot read this stupido german. Once I install AVK2005 Pro ENGLISH, it's ALL in german! Why's that?! *Sighs* How do I get my AVK2005 into E-N-G-L-I-S-H?!

12. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

Yes, it IS confusing. The title says, "AntiVirenKit 2005 professional (English)", but the description underneath lists the language as German. - I was afraid of that... and so I emailed the Co. for a clarification, but have not yet received a reply from them. I hope they (soon) resolve this for you. Good Luck!

13. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

14. dan_maran

15. Access Denied

Just formatted and reinstalled everything. This time I chose the FULL format option where I normally format the RAID 0 configuration with a quick format. AVK 2005 runs even smoother than before. :cool:

16. subferno

subferno Registered Member

I am interested in AVK but I am really fighting between this and Kav 5. I have a few questions though.

1) Does having the dual engine by BD really matter? The Kav engine seems to pick everything up already. There was a link to a german site
    ( http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693&mode=thread&order=0 ) posted here comparing different AVs. Although it reviewed AVK 2004, it showed several false positives as oppose to Kav 5 having none. Was it because of the other engine?

2) I wasnt sure if it has been answered yet in this thread or a similar one but does AVK use AD streams like Kav 5?

3) Are the features specific to Kav 5 Pro only available to itself and not AVK? Things like macro detection, etc.

Like I said, I cant decide between the two. According to AVK users in this forum, the performance is faster (?) compared to Kav. But then Kav Pro has features that isnt available in AVK. Daily updates is a plus for Kav which AVK doesnt but it is a minor issue for me. Having the dual engine is nice but the Kav engine seems to take care of things already. The big turn off is Kav using streams which I dont like. Then there is AVK's support issue.

Cant decide :mad:

Check my sig to see if either will actually drag my system. I wont be trialing the 2 AVs on this PC until I format it. I will trial it on my laptop though.

17. dan_maran

That is an old scan with version 12 I believe, they are now at 15.0.5
    So I am assuming that has greatly decreased, I have not run into any FP's with AVK 2004 or 2005. Yes Macro virii are detected, and I sent an email to them about the Istreams and the like in comparison to KAV5 and I am currently awaiting a reply, they just setup the english and french support emails so I am not going to get to pushy just yet. Having BD compliment KAV is nice because you have a large Sig database and quality hueristics. It should not lag your systems at all, but like you said you are not going to test it on your rig now, but when you do I have a feeling the lag will be worse with KAV and with AVK it is almost non existent unless you set the Real Time Mon to scan all archives regardless of size but that will slwo any of them down. HTH

18. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

You don't have to use ADS tagging with KAV because it is now optional during the installation, at least with KAV 5.0 Personal it is.

KAV has best support in the business from what I have experienced.

19. subferno

subferno Registered Member

Was there an update to switch streams off during installation? I thought you couldnt awhile back during install.

For your last sentence, do you mean KAV or AVK? They have the same letters and I dont know if you got confused or not. From what I heard so far in this forum that AVK (gData) doesnt have a good support staff, yet.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

With the newst version of KAV you have the option during install to run the "recommended settings" or you can simply uncheck the dialog box (during install). This will bring you to another window which will allow you to turn off the ADS tags and/or the network protection thingy.

21. dan_maran

Eliot, I think there is something wierd with GData2K5, tried a PM didn't go. Trying this.

22. Can't login

Can't login Guest

I can't login to the site anymore. Sure is a pain.

23. Access Denied

PM is now enabled likuidkewl. I didn't know it was off. :oops:

24. Access Denied

25. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

does anybody know if gdata is using kaspersky's newest engine (5) or are they using last years engine(4), also does anybody know if this a.v. has a firewall built in?

also does anybody know how this product compares to other a.v.'s such as:
    mcafee (9), acravir 2005, kaspersky (5)

im trying to find something to replace symantec 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.