Aviras AV just added some new features.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I don't have an "Internet failure"; I have an "Avira Premium failure." My Internet connection works fine with NOD32, ESS, KIS, BDIS2008, AVG, Avast, NIS, etc. This is peculiar behavior for the oh-so-stable, "best AV on the market." :rolleyes:

I can't determine if Avira has improved on its history of false positives. Since I can't get the "best AV on the market" to even download updates with current definitions, there's no point in running a system scan. I'm pretty sure the problems bellgamin, myself, and others are experiencing are "related to software" and the name of the software is Avira Premium [snicker, snort, guffaw] Security Suite. You may attribute our problems to "pure poppycock" or lesbian Martians if you wish.

Did I miss your explanation why a leading edge, stable, "best AV on the market" can't pass a routine ShieldsUp! test as even the Windows firewall easily can? No, I didn't think so.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ouch :)

no AV is the best, lets venture away from this before the thread gets closed,

it looks like you have already tried LOADS of them Karen, whatever is YOUR best, you should use :)

it never goes well if you take the advice of someone else who does not know your machine, every machine can work differently with different AV's.

anyone can say 'this is the best' but id prefer to say 'id recommend you this', hoping you will at least try it, if you believe it is working well with your machine, then be happy and get a nice longgggggg licence :)

happy trial-ing. :)

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Karen, I really dont understand your hostility over a post from someone who never has claimed to be an expert. I try to speak honestly and from the heart. I do realize people have issues and if it were me, I would just move on, instead of making someone who is already insecure, even worse. I dont know what to do now.o_O

:cool:

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Nice person, isn't she? :doubt: .

Later.

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Nothing trjam, you already did your best trying to help.;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. fredra

fredra Registered Member

OK...calm down y'all ... take a deep breath and relax..jeez.

It is not the end of the freaking world here, so stop the "pot shots".

What we need is Mele20 to come in and help Karen76 and I am positive that all the problems can be rectified to everyone's satisfaction.

Also I will agree with CSJ's suggestion.

Cheers :)

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

FWIW, I've been using PE Classic for almost a month and it has been working surprisingly well. I say surprisingly because using Avira was just an experiment and now I'm keeping it until it gives me trouble. I update manually before I go online in the evenings U.S. EST. and except for the first Friday or Saturday when the servers were down, I have had no problems. Even this latest update went smoothly on my machine :).

Not all systems are the same and I also have certain programs that just won't run on my machine. If the key don't fit, don't try to force it. I just move on and use something else. Another thing I also do is wait awhile after a release before trying it. My patience is usually rewarded with a more stable update shortly after the release.

innerpeace

8. Trespasser

Fredra,
    You would classify Karen76's post as non hostile? Non smarta**ed? How is one suppose to react to such an attitude? Let it slip on by without a comment? You need to be advising Karen76 to calm down quite a bit, not us. If you don't mind being talked to in such a manner when you're only trying to help then that's your concern. Personally, I don't like it.

9. fredra

fredra Registered Member

You missed the point I was trying to make my friend, the mods have a habit of closeing threads if it gets heated with personal attacks. I was trying to stop that.
    Sorry if you misunderstood, no offense intended.
    Cheers :)

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

She IS nice. Just frustrated, is all. "Help" < > "the problem is poppycock."

But hey -- how about them Mets!!!:D

11. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

Several members reported ... factually, honestly ... about genuine problems they experienced with Avira Premium. You baselessly accused us of posting "pure poppycock". Now, you're piously professing to be some sort of victim here. If you're too "insecure" to defend your demeaning remark and the "best AV on the market" then that's not my responsibility.

Resenting factual experiences reliably reported by myself and other members being denigrated as "pure poppycock" means I'm not a "nice person"? o_O You really are a piece of work. In case it escaped your attention, I didn't attack trjam. I responded to his pejorative comment directed at myself and others. If my unwillingness to be an Internet punching bag means I'm not "nice" in your opinion then I can live with that. Thanks for your worthwhile contribution to this thread. You, predictably, had no problem with the "manner" of trjam's "pure poppycock" remark. Did I miss your explanation how trjam was "ony trying to help" by branding our reports "pure poppycock"?

fredra,

I also don't want to see this thread locked so I'm leaving it for good. trjam and Trespasser can pass along any irrational insults to me via pm.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Avira updated their installer a day before this thread started. They did another update yesterday. So if there is a problem with the normal updates you can download and perform a fresh install from the latest installer.

I think after every major update of signatures Avira should do that, just like DrWeb.

Pseudo security expert Steve Gibson and his antics. :cautious:

13. Trespasser

I'm a piece of work?! Well...if you say so. :D.

And, yeah, how about those Mets!

Atlanta's out of it so who cares.

Later.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since this thread has pretty much run it's course and all the new features are now old we'll bring it to a close and await another interesting dialogue.

Practice safe hex,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.