Avira's 6 month trial- time's up (soon)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Back in September 2007 I took advantage of Avira's 6-month free trial offer. (Did anyone else?) My 6 months comes to an end in 2d half of March.

I am VERY satisfied with Avira Premium. It's light, stable, easy to update, easy to understand.

I am pretty certain I will opt to pay for a license at renewal time. Does anyone have any advance information as to how Avira handles renewals for users of Avira's free trials? Does Avira contact you before expiration date, or are you on your own? And so forth.

P.S. The offer I responded to was reported on THIS Wilders thread.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

3. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I agree with you, bellgamin. I also have the trial but mine does not expire until July. It is an excellent AV!

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

I have had to remove some off topic posts from this thread. Please do keep on topic

Thank you

Regards

nick

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know when i used the trial it did pop up telling me it was expiring but i had to go to the web site or click the link and buy it that way..

6. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

If you renew, I'd advise waiting until the last moment. My free 6 months is finishing in 2 weeks so I went ahead and renewed for 2 years and sadly the new license starts today. I'd wish it would have started when I activate it instead.

Question: This nagged me for almost 6 months now. Is there a way to configure Avira to wait until the end of the full system scan before asking what to do with a suspicious file?

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The only way is to before you do a full scan go to Lukefilewalker in the GUI and change the interaction to automatic and "ignore" and "ignore" as first and secondary actions if a virus is found. This way the entire scan will run unattended. When it finishes though you will not have a nice report waiting like with just about any other AV. You will have to manually retrieve the report and read it and then go manually to each suspicious file flagged in the report if you want to then quarantine or send the file to Avira, etc.

This irritating backwardness of Avira is one of the things dicussed extensively at Avira forums and something asked for by many on the wish list. I had hoped Avira would have fixed this for this latest beta but they spent their time on new paint. Plus, Avira has stated that they feel that if they change this that this will pose a big risk for users. When some of us asked them what they meant by that (because it made no sense to us how changing this to work like other AVs would be dangerous for the users) Avira said average users would be confused. Avira gives the impression that they don't want advanced users. They did finally say that they would "consider" a change but only if they could do it in such a manner that only advanced users could run a scan all the way without it stopping and demanding action on each alert. To my knowledge, nothing has happened since that statement and the latest beta still won't run a scan to completion and then have a report waiting on the screen when you come back.

Attached Files:

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed mele this would be a welcome change in avira

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I was one of those. It was on PC 2 when it died. R.I.P. :'(

It would expire in late March. I'll not go for the paid version. No reason in particular. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.