Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Thanks! For now I'm sticking with Windows Defender, this does not mean that I may not in the future try Avira again, but for now no thanks.
    Always,
    Wildman

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

Okay to be completely fair and unbiased I have once again downloaded and installed Avira (FREE). We shall see how this now goes.
    Always,
    Wildman

3. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

OK, WTF is the deal with the launchero_Oo_Oo_Oo_O?? I had it off my system for years and the recent update today downloaded it and there is no way to get rid of it. Why do these god damn companies deploy all this useless crap on people's machines? I don't want nor need this ******* launcher on my computer. Get rid of it or I'm done with Avira.

4. boesdad

boesdad Registered Member

Have you tried this >>>>> Just open task manager, then startup, then disable the launcher. Works for me.

5. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I can't find a column for startup in the task manager. How do you disable ito_O

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you are using Windows 7 click on Start and type Msconfig and run it. Select Startup tab and deselect Avira launcher entry. Click OK and restart your system.

upload_2016-5-27_6-30-46.png

7. guest

guest Guest

8. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

can anyone tell me if avira has finally forced the horrendous, useless, problematic avira-"launcher" on the users of the premium version of the avira av-program?

i also would like to know if the bug that caused avira's "sched" process to use 200 MB of ram has been fixed?

i dumped the avira program because of that bug with the avira-program's "sched" process.. (i don't like using buggy crapware) which was why i previously uninstalled the avira program when it started filling up my system32 folder with "chinese" junk-files..

i know that the avira has a few other bugs as well, and other issues, such as the "spam-machine", the "messaging service" which only generates malicious ads and which cannot be disabled without windows constantly popping up errors..

one thing that needs to be fixed is having that avira-folder, named "xyz.exe" (i forgot the name), in the windows-appdata-Temp-folder, which does nothing but cause errors to be generated, which you can see if you run sysinternal's "process monitor", that and removing the spam-machine..

another thing.. someone at avira reduced the logging for "webguard" so that now, when something is blocked by webguard, it isn't logged, so you either are not aware of what the problem is or you are not able to address it, by making an "exception"..

in my book, avira has just gotten worse and worse and worse, with the stupid things that they are doing..

i used the avira-premium program for eight years, but dumped it back in october.. i would like to go back to using it, but not if they now are forcing the buggy, useless, problematic "launcher" on the users of the avira-premium program..

i forgot to mention that avira is the only vender that does not support windows xp, now, which is stupid since there is no problem with running the avira program on windows xp.. after all, avira said that the avira 14 program, which supported windows xp, was going to be the last version of the avira program (similar to the way that microsoft says that windows 10 is the last version of windows), so there is no problem with running it on windows xp, except that now maybe avira builds the installer to where it won't install on a windows xp machine, for no good reason.. as i said, avira just keeps doing more and more and more stupid things..

(my theory is that the reason avira has gone to the dogs is because they took on people from "pctools" after pctools was shut down)

incidentally, i noticed that other vendors have something similar to avira's "laucher", but it is an optional, seperate install (and there is no reason why avira couldn't do the same)..

p.s. another very stupid thing that avira did was to shut down access to avira's KB-articles.. shutting down the avira-support-forum also was very stupid..

p.p.s. another stupid thing was to change things to where it was required to use administrator-privileges in order to adjust the avira program's settings.. that seemed to cause a LOT of problems..

and nevermind that their "product protection" does nothing but cause problems, yet they still have it..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  9. entropism

entropism Registered Member

You know you can just stop the launcher from running in Windows through either msconfig or the task manager, right? Even the free version. The whole launcher issue is blown way out of proportion, IMHO. If you don't like it, stop it from running with 20 seconds of total effort. If you don't care, you don't care. It literally takes more time writing and complaining about it than it does to fix.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Not yet.
    (In initial installation you have to use the offline installer, not the online one).
    ---------
    Yes.
    ---------
    It is logged (in webgurad log).
    ---------
    o_O
    Knowledge Base articles are still there=
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-search
    ---------
    +1

Greetings from avon.

11. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

Avira Pro is running great here. No issues to report :-D

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ditto, the best Avira I have ever had, super light and top detection.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm not using Avira AV, but I also noticed the launcher when I checked out Avira VPN. I considered installing Avira AV, but after seeing and reading about this garbage, I will stay away from it. Sad to see they ruined their products with this bloat.

14. Tinstaafl

I can certainly understand people having diverse opinions about a product, but I would encourage them to be based on facts, rather than rumor or hearsay.

I am not a fanboy, but I am running Avira and there is no way, no how, I could conceivably describe it with adjectives such as "horrendous, useless, problematic, garbage, or bloated". It's just the best AV I have tested on my PC and meets my requirements. It also has top tier scores in various malware detection tests. There are other AV's that I have tried that may come closer to those descriptions, but not all of them at one time, LOL!

Maybe if you are running a 10 year old, single core machine, you may have issues.

But it is light as a feather on a modern Windows PC.

This launcher everybody speaks of as so evil only occupies less than 5 Megabytes (working set) of RAM in a PC with Gigabytes of memory. Open Resource Monitor and look for yourself. Launcher also uses 0% disk activity and 0% network activity. And for those who are still annoyed by it that really want to take the trouble, it can be uninstalled, which actually takes less time than to post about it.

15. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  16. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avira.345492/page-166#post-2585570
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avira.345492/page-166#post-2585582

-----------------------
    The Avira Launcher (Windows Client)
    Allows users to install one or more Avira products on their PC.

17. Tinstaafl

It all comes down to the distinction between Committed Memory and Working Set, regarding the memory allocation. The number you are referring to is the approximate Committed Memory number, and is very close to what I get. But, I would think that most of us are really only concerned about actual RAM use.

Working Set: The subset of the virtual address space of a process that resides in physical memory (RAM).

Commit Limit:
    Your total available Commit memory is your available physical memory + your page file (virtual memory). So this number is usually much larger than your physical memory. Your task's Committed memory is based against this larger number, the Commit Limit, not just the limits of your physical RAM.

So if we want to talk about the amount of physical RAM that a process is using, we need to focus on the Working Set. Bottom line, other than the 5MB in physical RAM, the rest of that 50-60MB is paged out to the disk, not doing anything.

18. Tinstaafl

19. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

My issue is not the Ram, i have enough of it ;) but i don't like the concept of that launcher ... simply don't like it.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, seriously.
    If all that you want is just to use the plain Avira AV in a single PC, then the Launcher is a useless crap which consumes RAM for nothing.

21. Tinstaafl

Now that's an honest opinion that I can live with ;-)

I should keep my mouth shut, but when I hear folks making up issues or hearsay that is just not believable, I Just feel that I must say something to right the world :-D

22. Tinstaafl

It's only a itsy, bitsy, teenie, tiny, bit of RAM, LOL! No system impact whatsoever!

But if you just don't like it, uninstall it!

I'll tell you what really bugs the crap out of me ... is that I'm reading this on Firefox with three tabs open, and it is consuming over 500MB of RAM. Now that is real bloat!!!

23. anon

anon Registered Member

It's so hard for you to realize the fact that launcher is a crap for someone which don't want it and don't use it?

That's the problem and that's why the complaints. I don't have the option to uninstall (in order to uninstall the launcher, I have to use tricks and hacks). ;)

The Firefox with three/five/hundred tabs open is something that you want it.

Anyway, we agree to disagree.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  24. Tinstaafl

25. anon

anon Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.