Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Have they ever had the free version tested? Seems they only submit the paid version.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

The Avira Free version uses the same signature based database, and protection cloud as the Pro version. I also noticed that there is only a fraction of 1% difference in the scores on the VB100 test between Avira Free & Pro. Both score near the top of the list for Windows 7 & 8 tests.

From Neil J. Rubenking's review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426657,00.asp
    "The main features added in the Pro edition are Mail Protection and the Web Protection. Mail Protection scans all incoming and outgoing email (POP3/SMTP or IMAP) for malicious attachments, and quarantines any that it finds. Of course, even without this protection you're pretty well covered. As soon as you save or execute a malicious attachment, the regular real-time protection scans it."

Rather than relying on a Pro suite or whatever, I would rather use a light, signature based real-time AV engine with good proven detection ability. Disable any web and browser protection. Then select browser extensions to secure the web browser (such as uMatrix to block scripts from untrusted sites) and finally lock it all down with the HitmanPro.Alert behavior based anti-exploit technology (or EMET or MBAE, or something similar).

The key is a layered defense. No AV will ever give you 100% protection. However, the biggest risk still remains between the chair and keyboard :)

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Tinstaafl

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Even Rubenking is positive about Avira free, although he still finds other free products faring better...
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474683,00.asp

And he definitely dislikes Avira Pro:
    In his opinion 'mail protection and web protection' is "very little more"...
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426657,00.asp

I've just realized that Tinstaafl had already posted Rubenking's review...

6. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Also ABS (browser extension) for Avira free

Knockout Browser Safety
    I mentioned that you should be sure to install the Browser Safety component. My malicious URL blocking test revealed just what a great idea that is.

In this test, I attempt to visit recently discovered malware-hosting URLs from a feed supplied by MRG-Effitas. For each URL that doesn't throw an error message, I record whether the antivirus blocked access to the URL, wiped out the executable download, or sat around doing nothing. And I continue until I have 100 data points.

Avira blocked a phenomenal 99 percent of the URLs, all of them by diverting the browser from the dangerous page. That's the best score ever. The previous top score was 91 percent, shared by McAfee AntiVirus Plus (2016)$24.99 at McAfee and Symantec Norton Security Premium$49.49 at Norton - 1 year plan. Note that there's no new or old sample set involved with this test—I always use the very latest URLs, typically no more than a day old.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474683,00.asp
    But in his test Avira had poor Phishing score where others did much better...

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  7. anon

anon Registered Member

You forgot the rest.......
    =

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. Pat MacKnife

Yes for the ones who uses IE or Edge, opera... ABS is zero.

10. Tinstaafl

In my experience, it is the browser or web protection services that gums up browser performance. They have to process the HTTP(S), so additional overhead is necessary.

Stick to browsers that support plugins and use script filtering. That actually speeds the browser up. Javascripts that do not load do not take CPU cycles to scan and process.

uMatrix is awesome in that regard. It automatically white lists the 1st party scripts in the domain for the site you visit (it's up to you not to click on sketchy sites), and then loads all the CSS and images for the site, so it should mostly render the page OK (not break the page rendering as badly as some other script blockers do). All third party scripts are blocked unless you wish to let them run on a case by case basis. The cool thing is that if you allow a 3rd party script to run, it does not whitelist it globally, but just for the context of that particular 1st party site.

uMatrix also comes with a number of host files that blacklist known malware and/or ad server sites that you can selectively enable. This may save your bacon if you have a momentary lapse of judgement and click on that sketchy malware site :)

11. Tom111

Tom111 Registered Member

Is it true that only in Avira Pro the Launcher is still removable and always will be?

Or will Avira eventually push/force the Launcher also for the Pro version?

Thanks.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

13. Tom111

Tom111 Registered Member

Is there a clean/safe way to remove the Launcher for the Free version?

Since the program itself says its required by Avira Free. But we all know that that is absolute nonsense of course.

Is this topic https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3qwon1/unable_to_uninstall_avira_launcher/ still relevant on removing/disabling the Launcher?

Because some guy is talking about disabling the "Avira.SystrayStartTrigger.exe" in msconfig to safely disable the Launcher.

If that is the key to disable it, with or without uninstalling the Launcher, I am a happy camper.

I just simply hate how Avira is shoving this bloatware down our throats.

14. Pat MacKnife

You can remove that launcher with IObit Uninstaller 5 , like i did.

15. Tinstaafl

I fail to see where the bloat is, or even why this is an issue. Especially for a product you get for free. In my Windows Performance Monitor, it has a very light footprint!

16. anon

anon Registered Member

17. Tom111

Tom111 Registered Member

Alright, I'll look into it when the moment is there.

I still have version 15.0.16.282.

I'll also definitely going to try out the method of disabling the "Avira.SystrayStartTrigger.exe" in msconfig. That one looks very promising as well.

18. anon

anon Registered Member

If all that you want is just to use the plain Avira AV in a single PC, then the Launcher is a useless crap which consumes RAM for nothing.

19. Tom111

Tom111 Registered Member

Thank you anon, you couldn't have said it any better!

20. Tinstaafl

LOL, it's a drop in the bucket. Maybe 4MB ram? How many GB's you running these days?

I am very happy with Avira. I am a refugee from Avast. Now if you wanna talk about bloat ...

21. Tom111

Tom111 Registered Member

avira-starter_win10_en.jpg (Picture is taken from google)

It's just because of the way that they now 'force' you to use this Launcher.

They never did this before version 17.

You always had the option not to use it.

And for me this Launcher is just ordinary bloat, since things like System Speedup or Online Shield VPN is something I don't want, nor I will ever need.

So in the end the Launcher just consumes unnecessary RAM in the background only because of useless things like that.

It saddens me, because Avira always stood up comparing to any other antivirus programs for being as fresh and simple as possible without being a resource hog and without the use of any extra bells and whistles (like this Launcher for example).

But little by little they are turning into the same Antivirus product like any other one on the market today.

Such a shame.

22. anon

anon Registered Member

#1941=
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/avira.345492/page-78#post-2378920
    ---
    https://avira.ideascale.com/a/dtd/We-could-remove-Avira-Launcher/198156-26744

=
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/security-software/avira-free-antivirus-review-3493945/

23. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I've tested it with 15.0.17.273 and msconfig trick works. So disabling autostart will prevent it from loading. That's good enough for me. This way I can start installing it on my friend's and family's computers. Thanks for sharing this workaround :)

24. Tinstaafl

OK, I get it now! It's the fact that they CHANGED things a bit, that stirred things up... The launcher has been there since I came over to Avira, so I just accepted it.

If I'm not mistaken, most of those highlighted icons are just placeholders for optional features.

25. Tom111

Tom111 Registered Member

So this gives me a perfect opportunity to quote anon again:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.