Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. boland

boland Registered Member

That didn't work. I don't have any antivirus/antimalware software which could complicate things and the Win10 tray icon notification settings are set correctly.
    I had to uninstall/reinstall Avira for the trayicon to come up correctly. The latest version seems to have dropped the launcher background process.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

as i have said before with the latest builds of avira FREE when you remove either in control panel the whole thing gets removed

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running Avira free 2016 and I removed Avira launcher with IObit uninstaller and when I did a reboot the avira launcher icon was replaced with an Avira control center icon. Ergo no Avira launcher.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't get it why they have to push that useless crap and they even intentionally made it unremovable unles you hack it apart and potentially break something...

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Well, maybe it's a tactic to intentionally annoy its free AV users, so that they could pay for the Pro version to remove the useless launcher?

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! File under Sleaze Ball Mktg...it seems the contagion from the automotive industry...has spread it's odorous tentacles. Disgusting! Sincerely...Securon

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only thing they made me do is uninstalling AVIRA with lightning speed...

8. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

No need for hacking, or uninstallers, to get rid of the annoying Avira launcher.

Just download and use the full installer (~206MB), instead of using the web installer (~4MB)

You don't even have to uncheck the launcher, it's not there.

9. nameless

nameless Registered Member

No need for an uninstaller? I already had Total Uninstall, and already had Avira Antivirus Pro installed--along with the launcher. Using TU was easier than uninstalling, downloading, and reinstalling would have been. I'm just pointing out that it's an option for those in my situation.

Well I'm not a free user, and I've been annoyed by the stupid launcher, and could not uninstall it the usual way, so that's not likely.

10. Hiltihome

@namless:

It's just that easy:
    Use the right installer, in the first place. haha

11. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Had I known, of course I would have. I find it incredibly stupid that they have the downloads set up that way. Not to mention refusing to allow deinstallation.

I better stop participating in this thread before I get angry enough to remove the whole product. :)

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

that was the first thing i did when i purchased a license for avira. ditch the online installer and obtain the offline installer.
    i thought wilders members would know better (except Hiltihome obviously).

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've used offline installer and this does NOT work. Yeah, it installed it offline, but then trey icon disappeared 2-3 times and launcher crap self installed. It may be related to WIndows 10 and not to older versions of OS, because I'm using Win10...

14. bigc73542

No kidding guys The method I used in post 3878 got rid of the launcher in win 10 and left Avira free fully functional.

15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Same experience here.

16. Hiltihome

Shame on me, that I didn't test with WIN10.
    I tested today, and the annoying launcher was there...(I installed Avira-free, didn't try pro)
    On WIN7 and WIN8.1 the lauchner is not being installed, when the full installer is used.

Anyway, I will not change to WIN10, for several reasons, so I don't care.

Avira made a huge progress in flagging pups and adware, during the last weeks.
    They are also fighting legal complains against German adware bundling companies.
    They added upload to cloud for scan and a few things more, that made me like Avira again.

I like the fact, that Avira doesn't delete, or quarantine files, without asking.
    Although it's easy to use, it gives advanced options to configure.
    The look of the UI is a bit outdated, but I don't care.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

bigc is totally correct. Install Iobit Uninstaller and uninstall the launcher and it is gone forever. Works like a charm.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I hate it. You can set avast! to do whatever you want. Auto delete or Ask you. But people don't seem to mention that all that much...

19. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

I have installed avira free several times on Win 10 computers and never had the launcher, so win10 isn't the issue here.....
    I always download from the avira website full installer (220MB)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've tested AVIRA as well like 2-3 months ago and when using offline installer, there was no launcher. They changed this behavior recently because launcher gets pushed upon you whether you like it or not. And I didn't like it so entire app left my PC.

21. bigc73542

Thank you for verifying my findings.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But why do we need these software gymnastics if it could be uninstallable the proper way instead of being artificially blocked with excuse that "launcher" is needed. No it's not and we all hate the damn thing.

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

till the next time the launcher is updated then it will reinstall after the updates

24. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I am not sure why so many ppl are whining about that launcher. Sure, it's useless piece of ****. But you did not pay for the product either. I have pro licenses, installed Avira pro on 6 of my PCs using the 220MB offline installer, and none of them have that stupid launcher ever.

If you want good protection, non-launcher, then simply save up a few bucks every month to buy a license, and you'll have full protection all year, without being bothered by that stupid launcher. It's not that a pro licence will cost you a fortune.

I am tired of seeing poster whining about this stupid launcher like a little girl. We are all grown-ups here, right? You want the devs to produce a better product in the future, then invest in the product with your money and stop whining.

25. bigc73542

It has been a while and it hasn't come back yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.