Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

The malware detected in a specific url =
    http://www.driverscape.com/js/jquery-1.9.1.min.js

Not everywhere in driverscape website.....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

This specific url also blocked by Avira Browser safety (extension in firefox)

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I am well aware of that. But, my understanding is that the javascript file is used on the homepage.

It's also worth nothing that only 2 out of 65 url scanners at VirusTotal say it is unsafe, and when I uploaded the js file to VirusTotal, all scanners identified it as being clean.

I believe the following comment from VirusTotal describes it best:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. Cmhelper

Cmhelper Registered Member

Hello,
    I've checked your described situation about error 503 during update attempt. Please send us an email with the report file of our support collector and try the following steps for trouble shooting:
    • Set in Avira configuration the "No proxy" option if you do not use an proxy
    • Avira configuration - General - Security - deselect the "Product processes from unwanted termination" option, click apply
    • Check TLS 1.0 und die SSL 3.0 encryption in the Internet Explorer Settings (advanced settings)
    Start the update again after each step. What is the result?

Update: Please report back if you still encount issues with Avira Updates. "Error code 503" has been fixed in meanwhile.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Are there any AV promos going on atm? :)

6. Cmhelper

7. escalibur

Thanks Cmhelper. Probably that one is the best official promo atm?

8. Cmhelper

AFAIK: Yes :)

9. escalibur

Ok. I will think about it. :)

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

for me what fixed it was to do a manual update and after that it seemed to work fine. not sure what that did but have not had an issue since then

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Too right!

12. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

Sigh... back to Avast for me. Woke up Sunday morning and kept getting update failures due to internet connection not available. Checked settings and all browsers have working internet access ok.

Tried rebooting and also re-installing Avira, but still no update due to internet not available. Turned off Firewall, no improvement ... Weird!

Installed Avast, and everything running smooth.

On a side note, once I re-installed Avira, my Virtualbox was unable to start any VM's ... but with Avast all is good now ...

I really wanted to keep using Avira, due to it's superior performance regarding malware detection, but these issues are taking too much bandwidth to troubleshoot... :-(

13. escalibur

14. anon

anon Registered Member

Product version 15.0.13.202 (Update 13) released today Sept 22, 2015.
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.........

Download: http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-antivirus-pro
    As usual: In webpage, Description remains with old version (205MB),
    and link contains the new version (190MB)......

Attached Files:

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

did avira even really have hips? if so i never saw it

16. anon

anon Registered Member

Call me Avira ProActiv ;)

It's a shame that they are trying to fool the users with with some kind of "wording"...... :thumbd:
    --------
    ProActiv technology was available for 32 bit systems only.
    Instead of developing ProActiv technology for x64 systems, they remove ProActiv from x32 systems....
    ----------
    From "Help" file:
    R.I.P.

Attached Files:

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Maybe it's just me, and in all fairness in regards to Avira because they're not the only vendor...but the Cloud Protection...when it provides protection...Lol! Note! we as paying users still haven't received so much as a simple sorry for the Cloud...Server mess up this past weekend. Now they take away a Feature that might be of value...and replace it with Cloud Coverage...that so far has an unenviable track record. So Mr. Travis Witteveen where's the Apology. Sincerely...Securon

18. anon

anon Registered Member

"Share"......... "Tweet"......... o_O
    Great Improvement: Instead of ProActiv, Facebook and Tweet......... :argh: :argh: :argh:

Attached Files:

19. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Dump and Flush! Goodbye Avira. Sincerely...Securon

20. escalibur

<no sense of humor/>

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  21. Cmhelper

Hello

ProActive was the local behavior-based detection of malware which worked just on 32-Bit due to restrictions in the 64-bit kernel of Windows where kernel hooks are not possible. Avira has integrated the Protection Cloud in all of our consumer products (even the free!). The technology on our severs include several techniques like behavior based detection and much more. These techniques are more powerful and complex than a local computer could handle. This includes Artificial Intelligence (also known as machine learning) and realtime updates. This improves the detection of zero-day exploits a lot. The latest test results of AV-Comparatives shows us that we are on the right way.
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2015&month=8&sort=1&zoom=2
    If you are interested in the technology background and benefits of the Avira Protection Cloud, have a look at the whitepaper:
    http://www.avira.com/files/for-business/Whitepaper_ProtectionCloud_EN.pdf
    Another advantage: If a file is a new malware and you execute it, behavior-based detection will just trigger an alarm if a bunch of actions were performed by the virus which are in combination bad. It will not take action if just a single action was taken (e.g. reading a file) because elsewhere everything would be recognized. But maybe it is already to late when the alarm was triggered. Performing the behavior based detection in the cloud on a secure environment without any confidential information to steal, will eliminate this risk for you and protects you even before the file is executed on your system. This is just one example why cloud protection is much better for your security than a local detection.

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The URL hxxp://www.driverscape.com/js/jquery-1.9.1.min.js is not detected by Avira anymore. Which is good, as it seemed to be a fairly obvious false positive.

It's a shame that there is no option to be notified of the result of an online false positive submission. I don't think the following is enough, as there is no indication of how long it takes Avira to analyse submissions and exclude them from detection if found to be safe.
    Once again, it's a shame that people choose to blindly believe the results of malware scanners. I can understand the average computer using doing so, but it would be nice to think that Wilders members would consider that heuristic detections indicate that something is potentially harmful, rather than being a definite threat.

23. anon

anon Registered Member

Since day before yesterday.
    +1

24. anon

anon Registered Member

... since long time ago, not yesterday with Update 13.
    APC worked in conjunction with ProActiv (in x32 systems).
    Now ProActiv is gone and APC works alone.
    a) Not everybody wants the cloud, some prefer the local. Give us the option to select.
    b) APC alone is better than APC plus ProActiv?

25. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

To be honest I don't think ProActiv is quite effective even before Protection Cloud has been release
    ProActiv concept was good when it was introduce at version 10,because at that time Avira cannot catch (some we call grey sample)
    lookalike legit programe but with malicious action.However few years later,I can't see ProActiv has been work as it expected.
    Even It creat a huge trouble in Avira history.Falsely blocked improtant system file,let many users cannot boot-in their system.
    Also some users report it creat much more compartites issues.
    According to some test,ProActiv is work like the weakness for the whole program.I can't see it can catch many detection (nearly zero) which it should be catched.
    ProActiv not just work as local,it have it's own cloud call ProActiv Community,which a bit like Protection Cloud,but after APC has been release to public,the ProActiv Cloud and even the module will be discontinue and have other role which I receive for few years ago.
    Like stefan said APC has some technology which could cover ProActiv role,why we need an redendent module inside one programe?
    It was the truth we should face that the module is dead already before update 13 making an annoucement.

Also APC is not work in conjunction with ProActiv,both module has different role and work seperate.if you not install ProActiv it doesn't mean APC will not working.if they are related or conjunction,it will not working if missing one of it's releated module
    Back to the products
    Even they work together inside Avira products,I don't think ProActiv has quite workable
    Just think about that,
    How many times have you seen ProActiv has alert you about it catch the virus?Compare with APC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.