Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Yes zfactor...tried to update and received the same info! You would think someone might update us on the situation from Avira! A bit disconcerting! Sincerely...Securon

2. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, two days ago.

My first action was the "Modify" option => no results.
    Then problem solved as follows:
    Run the offline installer (on top of the working) > select the "Repair/Update" option > install > reboot.

How to repair your Avira product

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Securon

Good Morning! Anon! As always thank you for the advice and solution. The Solution as a Paying Customer of Avira should be confirmed by Avira themselves...a Company of their size and scope should be aware at all times of system and product gliches...and looking after their Loyal Paying Customer Base! No Excuses Accepted. Sincerely...Securon

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

all my systems were updating till about 4am today?? i have over 100+ people running avira will i have to do this for everyone? imo thats insane

edit: did not fix the issue same thing after repairing the install.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

As a Paying Customer of Avira, you have to ask Avira Support, imo.

6. zfactor

tried again same thing that doesnt work for me. still says "no internet connection" going to try a full uninstall now. but shouldnt have to do that

7. anon

anon Registered Member

I take it that you already tried to update (after reboot) 3-4 times. Correct?

8. zfactor

yup. and just fully uninstalled and rebooted then reinstalled. same deal no luck

9. anon

anon Registered Member

fully uninstalled and rebooted then reinstalled. and reboot =
    ----------------
    1) After reinstallation/reboot, check once again the configuration=
    Extras → Configuration → PC Protection → Update → Web Server → Proxy settings → Do not use a proxy server

2) I don't have any info re ErrorCode: 503.
    You better ask Avira Support, imo.

10. Securon

Good Morning! I'm going to try and reach Avira's American based office in San Diego I believe...and see if they're aware of the situation...in the meantime I'll uninstall Avira until the situation is remedied. Disturbing to say the least. Look at all the Time and Stress we're enduring in trying to resolve a problem that Avira should be taking care of...Disgusting! Sincerely...Securon

11. Securon

Good Morning! Overlooked the fact; due to it being Sunday...nobody available at the 800 number. Hopefully somebody in Tettnang will become aware of the situation and remedy the Server Problem. Sincerely...Securon

12. zfactor

tried literally every answer i could find online nothing works.

13. zfactor

even just tried redirecting the update server via hosts file no luck. the manual update option does work.

edit: seemingly after forcing a manual update then it seems now to be updating correctly.

14. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Why on Earth I would visit 'random drivers page' without being very sceptical about it in the first place? :) I'm not using anything that old where I should search for the drivers around the Internet. :)

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

How do you know this is not a false positive. I would never trust any detection which labels something solely as being "malware" rather than identifying the threat.

When I checked driverscape at VirusTotal, it only detected as being malicious by one (not Avira) out of 64 scanners.

16. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I would ask you "how do you know it is", but after wget'ing the file and uploading it to virustotal the scan says 0/56.

HOWEVER, looking at the comments you can see there might be indications that this .js file is used by malware too. It could be potentially harmful if triggered by malware and I think anon's detection is at least useful (it's better to detect a false positive than not detecting a positive).

With all due respect: your "method" of trust is laughable, specially considering Avira's detection engine is probably the best one out there.

17. roger_m

@amarildojr I believe it is only reasonable that actual malware is identified by name, and if it is something that looks suspicious (rather than being an actual known threat) it is identified as such. I just spent a few minutes browsing the driverscape website, and I saw no evidence of anything malicious.

Actually, there's nothing laughable about it at all. It is foolish to blindly believe that antivirus software is always right.

With regards to how well Avira's web filtering works, I can't comment, as I've never used it. I don't use any kind of web filtering software (although Chrome does have some web filtering), and I never will, as sometimes safe content gets blocked, and I never get infected when visiting unsafe websites anyway. If Chrome blocks a website, and it a site I really want to visit, I got there anyway.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  18. anon

anon Registered Member

So what? Is this a reason not to use an protection layer?

What is blocked can easily unblocked=

19. anon

anon Registered Member

Screenshot......... :)

Attached Files:

20. zfactor

i dont run safe search (and never will run any of those type of things) but i do install the web shields as long as they dont interfere like the add ons usually do

21. anon

anon Registered Member

+1

22. roger_m

Yes, that true. But, I would prefer it not to blocked in the first place. I personally don't feel the need to have any content blocked, apart from using my browsers own adblocker. It is my experience, that no matter what sites I visit on the web (and I surf for hours a day, seven days a week), the only time I ever get infected is if I download and run an infected executable. I never get infected just from browsing. I did get infected a couple of times just from browsing on the computer I had at my last job. But, that computer was not updated (not by choice, but I didn't have admin access to be able to update), and was running old versions of Java and Flash (and missing some Windows updates too if I recall correctly).

23. roger_m

Okay, but when was that submitted? Had they had time to test it and remove it if it was a fp before you took that screenshot?

24. anon

anon Registered Member

1) Webpage content blocked from Avira Web Protection (screenshot in post #3724)
    2) URL reported to Avira (screenshot in post #3744)

3) Webpage tested once again (few minutes ago), see the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

25. roger_m

@anon Thanks for the update. I found no evidence of any malicious activity at the driverscape website.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.