Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So why hasn't my Avira Pro auto updated? Still have 14.0.7.468. Definitions update just fine.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

could you do a uninstall, then reboot. then run the avira registry cleaner. then try to run the newest installer and see what you get? or have you tried that already? also did you ever add anything to your host file for avira before? i know when i could not get updates they asked me to add different servers to the host file which worked for a while but then i had to remove them because it was no longer updating properly.

3. The Hammer

I haven't made any adjustments to the host file. I'll try the other steps soon. Thanks.

4. zfactor

make sure to reboot between each step.

5. The Hammer

Would I need to reboot after running the new installer?

6. anon

anon Registered Member

Uninstall Avira -> Reboot and run Avira Registry Cleaner (New version 2.0.1.0.) -> Reboot and run Avira installer* -> Reboot.
    --------
    Preliminary step (for paid versions):
    Save the license hbedv.key in a separate directory. The hbedv.key, if available, is located in the program folder of Avira: C:\Program Files\Avira\Antivir Desktop\
    --
    (for paid versions):
    During the installation use the above mentioned hbedv.key

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. The Hammer

Thanks.

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yesterday I installed Avira AV Pro for a company and for the first time, I experienced the bug that you used to always mention about large downloads.

1) Firstly, the first initial database update failed like over 15 times that I tried to do it......could never to get it to update and I even rebooted and mind you, this was on a brand new Lenovo laptop which has no AV preinstalled before and comes with Windows 7

2) The Lenovo laptop is old and doesn't have SP 1, Windows update will always fail towards the end of the download, so I manually tried to download SP 1 which was 903 MB, towards 902 MB, the download froze a bit then took a while and completed, upon launching the file, it was corrupted.

I then thought of you mentioning this downloads thing so I disabled all components in Avira (Web protection, realtime protection) then proceeded to try the virus definitions update and to my surprise, it went through smoothly whereas before it would also hang after downloading about 17 MB out of the total 21 MB. Then I downloaded the SP1 file and it went just fine.

Strange after all this time and probably complaints from others they didn't fix this yet.

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

is this a full fledged registry cleaner or an uninstaller for Avira products?

10. anon

anon Registered Member

None of the above.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Avira-RegCleaner.shtml

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

12. zfactor

yeah it just clear out leftovers after you remove avira.

13. zfactor

the issue was in fact fixed for a long time. it just recently started up again. so something in one of the updates over the last month is causing the issue again. you only need to disable the web filter and on a rare case the real time one normally the web filter disabled will allow them to finish fine.

14. zfactor

i suggest doing so. its not 100% needed though. but its always a good idea especially with anything that installs drivers. i always recc a reboot. and also yes run the newer cleaner sorry for not being more clear on that.

15. The Hammer

Now at 15.0.8.644. Thanks zfactor and anon.

16. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

That issues is belong to Windows Filtering Platform which affected for
    • Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    • Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    • Windows Server 2008 R2
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Microsoft have release a Hotfix patch for this problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888/en-us
    So if you want to use web protection normally,try to install this patch and see what happen
    This was not affected for Windows 8 or higher version of windows

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It would make Avira look better if they would stop sending me email spam, and then adhere to the '1 click unsubscribe' regulation.. To stop the spam it would like me to login with an account I never created.

18. zfactor

awesome!! anytime, we are all here to help out.

19. zfactor

does not solve the issue, already tried that hotfix. and i do not need to perform a hard reset as stated there all i need to do is restart the download. nothing more other than shutting down the web filter.

20. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Here is the direct download link for the Webfilter fix for Windows 7 (Windows 8 doesn't need it) = http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1/sp2/Fix393072/7600/free/442970_intl_x64_zip.exe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  21. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

i am facing an unusual issue with avira.it seems that there are some updates after which pc must be restarted else any subsequent update will fail with "engine validation error" in log.there is nothing wrong with connection or system settings as updates are downloaded completely & install procedure works fine(based on data transfer & cpu activity).only solution is to restart pc & trigger an update again.this happens regularly after 4-5 days &/or 4-5 updates.

22. zfactor

edit: Cmhelper has offered to help me with the lic's. i am glad he is helping me out because i was a bit upset. my major issue was not the lic key exchange because they said they would do it for me its the fact no one responded to my email (s) and i was on hold each time i called for well over an hour. so ill post back after and let you all know how that goes.

i for sure still will not buy any more avira lic's while on sale to hang onto. not worth it way to many other companies who honor their keys from MUCH further back then this. im hoping stephan or support can help me get someone to exchange these for me, if so i will be all means post that here and that it was taken care of by them. but up till now it has not been easy at all. they really should just allow them to be activated if they are going to change the keys out anyway.

so at this point huge thank you to cmhelper.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

They should learn from Norton's support. When I got disconnected in the online chat with Norton Live Chat, I got a call after 20 mins from a lady in the USA to ensure that my problem was resolved since I got disconnected. Top notch service I must say.

24. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

More news about Enterprise
    Avira will retail professional and AMC Solution for Enterprise market
    Replaced by "pro for business & online essentials"
    This information is come from avira partner
    So I would say good luck Avira(If you still can be the health growth company and stay inside this competitive industries environment)
    You still have competitive function
    As
    Strong Detection Thanks for the Engine Team,
    Together with APC and AUC(URL-Cloud)
    Lightest System impact
    What I see recently,after our Beloved engineer and Founder Mr Tjark Auerbach stepped down as CEO

Moving to the BAD Side...
    Avira now is quite shameful
    Before I would always recommend my friends using Avira,Now I still would be
    the products was so weakness and not competitive with others
    you are stepped behind so long for others...
    Scanning speed no more optimize(Last time Improve I/O and Speed=>8.2)
    Usually,avira made some serious errors which should not happen in normal products,
    Almost those bugs was critical which need to fix as fast as possible
    (just an example web protection corruption download,advance process protection bug cause UAC cannot approve etc.)
    However Avira staff will only doing their work on 5 working days,weekend almost everyone was dayoff...
    Hard update when user was using a non-stable network enviroment
    Lack with FireWall feature and don't decide to develop or expand...
    (Remove Avira FireWall which was a useful and most important network feature)
    Lack with HIPS ProActiv Junk module for all of us create huge annoying and disaster bug
    with out development again...

Don't support the Unix/Linux community
    Prices was not competitive on third worldwide or in-development location

I hope if Mr Tjark Auerbach would see the company again although you may retail about your age...and We need you to bring back the real Avira(Always creating most impressive Technology and Attractive function which meet our request)
    Told to the team think wisely what should the target of the products done for
    and the sloagon as More Than Security
    I always remember his aphorism
    "When No Security No Real Freedom!"
    And Being the German Top AntiVirus Products(ITSMIG)
    I still wishing when Avira would recognize the fault...
    don't waste so much money on accurate something might not useful...
    Don't Always combine or devide the production line just like teasing for US
    In these Four Years almost have 3 time even more production combine or divide
    So frustrated....

I hope any staff seeing this reply should not think we are bias or mean person
    We love Avira,we want to push Avira back on it's real track on how to make a good products!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  25. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Yes this problem can reproduct on my machine(windows 8.1 pro x64) as well as my friends comupter(windows 7 SP1 X64)
    Don't be sad you're not alone...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.