Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Yes,it was fixing the script which cause a bug in windows 8 system when repair the virus(it didn't explain in public)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. LocoSec

LocoSec Registered Member

3. anon

anon Registered Member

Yes, now the prices are the normal ones.

That day the prices was higher, i.e. Avira Antivirus Pro was abt $38 instead of the normal $30, what's why my comment. It was my mistake when I posted the link only instead of a screenshot (in order to prove my words).

4. UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder Registered Member

Hi, all.

New to Avira, I'm on Windows 8, 64 bit using Avira Free Antivirus.

I'm curious as to how long a scan takes. As in the image below, it's been nearly 2 1/2 hours and not even 1% complete. At this rate, it will finish sometime in March.

2d7u9va.png
    http://i59.tinypic.com/2d7u9va.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  5. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

When I used Avira for a month, it came to my notice that it had the slowest scanner across all AVs I'ved used and to make things worse, no whitelisting feature, meaning if you run that same scan again on the same files, it wouldn't compare the hashes and quickly skip previously scanned files but it would do this all over again. Very bad that they do not incorporate such technology at this day and age.

6. UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder Registered Member

Yep. After a Google search, I found many with the same issue. Several "solutions" were to use CCleaner to make sure you have no unnecessary and/or temp files. I do that already. Checked temp folders and they are clean. This is just to nuts, moved back to Bitdefender.

Thanks for the response, Mortal Raptor.

7. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

told u bro.....my pleasure

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You might want to look elsewhere for your problem, but don't blame Avira. Avira has always completed a full scan in very good time for me.

Attached Files:

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

when I said it was slow for me, this is with my Alienware 18 Laptop + 3 SSDs (no HDDs) installed + 32 GB RAM. The problem is in Avira, just google Avira Slow scanning and see what you get. it's the slowest scanner. period.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

avira scan.PNG
    There was something definitely wrong with your scan. Scan time can vary according to the amount of data on the drive, but 2.5 hours for only 1 % is not normal... My scans last about an hour for about 50 GB of data. Configuration can also increase scan time according to 'scanner priority' and 'Integrity checking of system files'.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i would guess maybe it got hung up on a file or a package maybe. i have seen this happen with more av's then just avira, where they hit a specific file or zip etc they just get hung up on. but yes i have a drive on this laptop that is a 1tb drive nearly full and it finishes a full scan in just over an hour.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just run a full scan on Win 8 (64bit) with 70 GB of data, time 1:12 Hours...

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

118 minutes, my last on-demand full scan after a reinstall days ago:

scan.JPG

14. anon

anon Registered Member

+1
    ---------------------
    For 440.948 scanned files, the 118:12 minutes it's too much.

Scan on Windows 8.1U2 32-bit:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  15. Macstorm

It's 440k, and please have mercy on my poor old dual-core, 2gb ram laptop :D

16. anon

anon Registered Member

For 440.948 scanned files, the 118:12 minutes it's too much.

Nope.

Same speed (Used time: 30/40 min for 350.000/450.000 Files) noticed also on Windows XP with Celeron 1.8 & RAM 512MB.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

Here you are, is the price normal?
    =
    http://www.avira.com/en/personal

18. Macstorm

I'll see next, subsequent scans.

19. LocoSec

LocoSec Registered Member

@anon I've checked our prices with the sales dept. and there are no changes...

20. anon

anon Registered Member

Attached Files:

21. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! I reinstalled Avira A/V Pro yesterday...just out of curiosity...to find out if Scan Times had markedly improved...on my system...sadly not... Beyond Two Hours for a Full System Scan. Totally unacceptable...I then reinstalled a Competitors Product...also German...and an impressive thirty eight minutes...why Avira hasn't addressed the Cacheing and Digital Fingerprinting implementation...is Well beyond me. I have entered a Well received post in their Pseudo Forum...and an Avira employee stated that my concerns would be forwarded to Avira management for serious consideration...and that was the middle of last year...still nothing...the silence and lack of progress is perplexing ! Oh well, I've moved on...and am delighted with my new Security Suite...incorporating Updated German Engineering! Sincerely...Securon

22. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Yes Indeed.

Always Sicher. Always.

23. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

the avira-scanner is not slow.. it is as fast as any other fast scanner..

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira is truly 100% German, engine at all, unlike your truly Updated German Engineering with a Romanian engine core... The other thing I can't understand, what difference does it make a scan that lasts 2 hours and one 38 minutes? Are you going to sit in front of your machine gawking at the scan UI for 38 minutes?

Scans are meant to let you work with your computer, albeit slower, until it is done. We are not talking of instances of say 5 minutes and 2 hours, 38 minutes is an eternity as well if one is in a hurry. Last but hardly least how often do you run a full scan? It is of course personal, but in 2014 I ran 3 full scans in 365 days which lasted altogether just over 3 hours... The day Avira detects something in a full scan it will be evidence that something slipped through, therefore I'll have to use something else...

For quick scans there are excellent tools like HitmanPro, HerdProtect, MBAM, etc. AVs are meant to prevent intrusion as their main task, notwithstanding the fact that one can also choose a quick scan in their menu...

25. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Osaban...Point Taken...I'm looking at Avira...As a Company...Eliminating the Firewall in it's Internet Security Suite...It's a reach to call it a Suite minus a Firewall. Then adding Bogus Toolbars...and System Optimizers...all unneeded and unwanted...by I suspect the majority of Wilders Members. I'm certainly aware of Avira's National Lineage. All I'm saying that as of the moment my choice rejects questionable Marketing in favour of effectiveness in the elimination of Malware. Sincerely...Securon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.