Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Is this Online Essentials thing only for the free version?
    I bought a Pro license for my wife a couple of weeks ago, and I hope she won't get that stuff in a forthcoming update... :(

2. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

It appears it did. Any ideas? Still experiencing BSOD on the families main PC even after removal of Avira. The other two are fine.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Nothing useful. I'm on Win 7 anyways.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you will. from the info i was given all versions will get it. its supposed to be how the product handles lic'ing in the future. i HOPE im wrong but i got this info from as high up as you can get.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Did they give you any reason as to why they want this nonsense OE so badly in their product? It's simply out of my wildest imagination.

6. zfactor

some of the recent updates caused major issues for MANY people. you may want to try restoring to a previous point if you can. otherwise there are a few specific updates you can try to remove. i dont remember off the top of my head which numbers they are but ill check when i get to the office in the morning unless someone else posts them first. its been a LONGGGGG day.....im just walking in the door at 9pm and left the house at 4:30 this morning for a emergency call.

7. zfactor

OE is the launcher. as far as im being told its one in the same thing. and what i know about the "launcher" or the tray service
    - the sys tray service will be managing our licensing in the future, determining what type of license you have and if it is still valid.
    - the sys tray service also manages the "update" functionality, making sure the version installed is always the latest version of our products.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira partners with Europe's Computerbild to make Identity Safeguard available to all its users.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014
    http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/962/news/avira-computerbild-identity-safeguard

10. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

11. Rohugh

Rohugh Registered Member

Silly Avira! I am running Avira AV Pro quite happily and want to log it on "My Avira", all it does is tell me it sent an email and to download the program from the link in the email. A case of the left hand not knowing what it is doing. :thumbd:

12. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Did you download my Avira sucessfull

13. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

An innocent question......

Avira AV Suite vs Avira Internet Security. I'm guessing the difference is one has a firewall.

What does the FW do? This is not about technically gifted tweaking. Nearly all will install Avira & get back to life. The Avira FW to a regular person is an unknown area where i reckon no one would venture. The GUI doesn't encourage fiddling. That said same applies to Window 7 FW. Both control panels would be full off e-cobwebs in the vast majority of peeps' PCs.

So does Avira FW do anything over & above the (virtually unknown) win7 FW?

(I mean USER-FRIENDLY ADJUSTMENTS -excludes any IT expert ruleset replies - the public know zilch about complicated rulesets)

14. zfactor

avira no longer has a firewall in any version. it simply uses windows firewall

15. anon

anon Registered Member

@ AaLF,
    2. Why do the Suites not include Avira FireWall anymore?
    Created : Wednesday, October 16, 2013
    &
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1621

16. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

thanks all.

17. oliverjia

Yeah KIS 2014/2015 is doing the same thing. Windows firewall has improved a long way, together with its built-in security features since Windows 8. It makes sense to utilize what's already in place in Windows itself.

18. zfactor

imo i hate that everyone is going that way. i know windows firewall is not to bad but i much prefer a simpler app based firewall for most people. i know i can create the rules but almost all clients can not.

19. Lucius

Lucius Registered Member

What you mean is that Kaspersky Internet Security 2014/2015 does not have its own firewall?
    Well.. that's BS.

20. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Avira AVS vs ISS

ISS includes
    • SYSTEM SPEEDUP
    • Faster startup
    • File encryption
    • Junk file removal
    • More available memory
    To me it sounds like more $ for an add-on of one of those Reg/Boost units that were popular on XP. When i bought Win 7 the pitch was reg cleaners & tweakers were just bloatware.

Are the above worthwhile or not?

21. anon

anon Registered Member

22. Cmhelper

Cmhelper Registered Member

We had checked that threads. All of them are outdated and from 2011 till 2009. We migrated only the recent, relevant content.

23. Rohugh

Rohugh Registered Member

Yes of course I did as it was showing my mobile device on it.

24. anon

anon Registered Member

So what? Outdated but very useful, IMHO.

So, except the "recent, relevant content", all the rest database from the old Forum is gone.
    Therefore the issue is exactly as a I wrote before: "What is missing is the whole database."

25. oliverjia

No need for the foul language. Yes I made a wrong statement in my previous post. Kaspersky 2014/2015 does use its own firewall component. I am getting old and apparently my memory does not serve me that good like before.
    So yes I was wrong and Kaspersky IS 2014/2015 does use its own firewall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.