Avira won't go away!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by joffy, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joffy

joffy Registered Member

My Avira Premium license is due to expire, so I thought I'd try something new.
    I uninstalled Avira, rebooted, but after I could not get any websites to load and the Avira directory and loads of files remained and would not delete.
    I tried CCleaner, the Avira removal tools, system restore etc but no joy so had to format and reinstall Windows!

Anyone else had this problem or is it just me that it messes up o_O

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

How far back did your restore point go? If you had disabled the drivers and services, you could've removed it all manually. Did you try running the installer again?

3. joffy

joffy Registered Member

The restore point was about a week old. I tried to disable everything Avira but I could not find any thing running in processes.

4. progress

progress Guest

As far as I know there is a tool (Avira Registry Cleaner?) which removes all the entries ... :doubt:

5. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Tried that. :doubt:

6. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Afaik it only removes registry entries.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I always rely upon Revo Uninstaller,it never lets me down. ;)

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Did you do as Espresso suggested? Many times reinstalling fixes messy uninstalls.

9. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Format and reinstall operating system, that is what I would do in my opinion.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I concur.

FWIW I recently uninstalled Avira Premium v9 using add or remove programs and it uninstalled cleanly.

11. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

boot in safe mode,open registry and deletes all avira folders.
    or use registry life [free] or ccleaner slim version.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

CCleaner was used by the OP.

13. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

Safe mode - windows explorer delete all files then use regcleaner and delete all the keys still in safe mode.

I wouldn't recommend Avira to anyone because of the uninstall issues.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you check Wilders for known issues with Avira you'll find that 95% of complaints are about time consuming updates with the free edition. I believe the OP had/has a problem with uninstalling, however, it is the first time for me to read about somebody having such a problem.

15. joffy

joffy Registered Member

A google search found others who had the exact same problem.

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I would be careful with that. I tried it in VBox. Deleting all fiels and all services manually resulted in having no internet connection anymore.
    I had posted this manual deleting in safe mode before but deleted the post because its too risky.

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Funny to see new folks here trying to tear Avira down. I see that AV competition is fierce..

Anyway, I'm glad the OP has "solved the problem"... the hard way :cautious:

18. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

I didn't run into that since I already went through this although If you used the Avira registry clean up tool to find the right keys I'm would not be surprised you had that issue.

I had to do this on two different pc's because I was moving them to Panda Cloud. I tried uninstalling exactly as the Avira support site recommends which is to remove the files in SafeMode and used the Avira cleanup tool to search with Regcleaner - that came back with several registry keys belonging to Norton Security Scanner so I knew it couldn't be trusted and of the keys I was sure of none could be removed. The support page from Avira doesn't say anything about SafeMode for the registry keys removal but.....

This whole process involved a few WTF! moments.

I used the Panda install error zip file showing me what needed to be uninstalled along with Regcleaner in Safe Mode.

I have had Avira before and had no issue removing it so I don't know what was different this time. Something at the Avira end though because I put it on these pc's about the same time. That said I have never had to go to SafeMode to uninstall something I installed on purpose.

There are several posts in the Avira forum and elsewhere where users complain that nothing can remove the registry keys. I did search extensively before going that route which as you say can be dangerous waters.

It must happen frequently enough for Avira to recommend SafeMode removal when all else fails

http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.