Avira Web Guard Is It Needed ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon ! Currently setting up Avira Premium...is the Web Guard needed due to the fact I'm using Prevx 3.0 with Safe On-Line. Doesn't Safe On Line perform a function similar to Avira's Webguard? Sincerely...Securon

2. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Webguard scans files, protects against drive-by downloads and has also aniphising feature. I think you can leave it, but it's my opinion.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMO Safe Online (SOL) is fully the equal of Webguard, and then some! And SOL doesn't noticeably slow-down web surfing whereas Webguard does.

SOL protects against browser-based attacks, including:
    * Man-In-The-Browser
    * Phishing attacks
    * Keyloggers
    * Screen Grabbers
    * Cookie Stealers
    * Info Stealing Trojans such as ZEUS, MBR, Goldun, and Silent Banker

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Some might argue that if you use a DNS service like Clearcloud or Norton, it mightn't be necessary to use such web guards. Having said that, it could be an added layer of protection.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have Safeonline, and Avira on the same machine. I have never had Safeonline flag anything, but Avira has blocked several threats over the year. Maybe Safeonline would have flagged it if Avira had not blocked it first, but I would not turn off Avira's Webshield. If that's the approach you want to take then just drop your AV all together, and use a light virtualization app like Shadow Defender, and an AE like Appguard. That's very light, and very secure. No noticeable slow downs, and no more problem for you.

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon ! Thanks Bellgamin...I respect your feedback...I imagine Safe-On Line should be sufficient. I must admit having used Avira Premium in the past...with Webguard...I can't recollect if indeed it affected Web Sites either Positively or Negatively. Time will tell. Sincerely...Securon

7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

this has been my experience as well, but with another product used in tandem w/paid prevx 3.0 w/sol. even when testing prevx by itself, i've never had it block anything, sites or otherwise, even when intentionally visiting sites that are flagged by other products' web guards.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think that Avira WebGuard is a signature based (Heuristics etc.) scanner of your internet traffic and detects all types of malware, and PrevX SOL is more like a BB (Anti Logging, Cookies, Data Theft etc.)

9. m0unds

m0unds Guest

prevx also maintains a url blacklist, just like avira does.

10. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Im using avira free plus clearcloud
    Seems to be working well

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, i meant that's why Avira Webguard prevents malware/blocks because it is more signature based.
    But PrevX SOL is based on other methods such as HIPS (Anti Logging), blacklists, etc. It does not actually detects malware like Avira but prevents any suspicious things. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.