Avira vs Nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zoli62, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I suggest Avira. Nod is far behind.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Could you elaborate?:rolleyes:

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Jarmo,
    I agree. I have had problems with some AV, and others would seem to think I was crazy because they had not experienced the same.
    I think most here realize that different applications react differently on different systems, and just because I have not had the problem does not mean it does not happen to others and maybe many others.

Avira has run real well for me recently, but I once removed it from my laptop because of the guard not showing on the tray, or sometimes not starting at all. Avira seems to have corrected that, and all has run well.

I did have some conflict with either UnHackMe or Snoopfree. I removed both and no problem since. The speed of start up has increased also so that it only takes seconds for things to be ready instead of a minute.

So while I have never had a FP problem with Avira, I do realize that others have, and IBKs tests showed it to be at least a minor problem.

FPs are a real problem for some, as maybe we do not know what to do about it or whether it is a FP or malware.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Technic

There is no need for that. Just check http://www.av-comparatives.org.

Avira Advanced+

Nod Advanced.

:D

Please elaborate me. :p

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Yes please elaborate…. I think threads and statements like this are why I don’t go to security forums as much anymore. I really dislike these one line statements that claim a product A is better than product B, when there is no reasoning shown to support the statement.

6. Technic

Well, please ignore my posts.

I have been online since 1993 and used few Av's and read some reviews and forums.

Question was simple and I just answered it.:p

7. waters

waters Registered Member

Technic is correct

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't start the war . You'll lose . I already warned you ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  9. lucas1985

I share your feelings.
    An AV with a Standard checkmark and other certifications (VB100, West Coast Labs, etc) should serve to anyone who practices safe hex and has a security strategy. I personally use Antivir on-demand in my main rig, but NOD 32 can serve me very well.

10. Technic

So Sophos AV is our choice. :ninja:

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i suggest you read some reports for the tests for additional information, instead of just looking at 'a figure' and then choosing your av and creating your own argument.

~ Unecessary personal comment deleted. Let's keep the discussion civil. - Menorcaman ~

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, here is a little more pee, err, I mean proof.:rolleyes:

13. Technic

We have some modern AV's here today. I would not use any of them suggested by you, :isay:

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

that shows nothing, you and i both know this, i know you like doing the 'defending' but these arguments are completely laughable.

symantec have the worst detection, i think not.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am neither defending nor laughing when it comes to Aviras abilty to detect. Now having said that, if I were not using Aviras suite, I would be using Esets. ;)

16. lucas1985

Sophos hasn't achieved Standard checkmark in AV-C tests. On the other hand, my security setup doesn't rely on antivirus/antimalware, so I don't really care. I'm interested in how AV engines evolve in a given time. I don't switch between AVs based on the latest AV tests.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

AV-Comparatives, I believe is a good place to start researching different AV products… You can’t simply say that Antivirus B is the better because it scored the higher than Antivirus A from a test site. There should be other factors as well; ease-of-use, stability, customer service, cost, etc. If I used the latest AVC test as my only decision making tool I would be using GDATA’s AVK but, in reality I would never do so. There are a few reasons for this… One, as a U.S. customer their past and current support has been nonexistent. Two, I personally find their program is a bit buggy and heavy on my computer. Three, for me the cost is a bit high.

What I’m getting at is this. When choosing or promoting an AV product people should take several factors into consideration and not just the test results from a single site. The only reason I dislike one-liners like, “product A is better than product B” is because it doesn’t really give the OP sound advice in threads such as this.

18. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

After reading the latest test on av-comparatives.org, I decided to try Avira PE. There’s one thing that’s keeps me undecided. When I boot with nod32, the latest definitions are downloaded instantly before the pc has finish booting, so I can start doing my business with the best available protection from nod32 :thumb: . With Avira, it’s wait’s at least 1 minute after the pc has become idle, and then the update module kicks in, and starts looking for a update..

19. Technic

This forum is full of subjective opinions.

I just provided link for the latest comparatives. As I said before, I have tried some.

I am just wondering one thing, when you have some critics for this and that (especially against NOD) your message will be wiped.

This forum has several hundreds topics about "should I take this or that"

Sometimes we can use some "one liners"

And furthermore , these same questions are repeated about once a day/week
    so we are just stirring up here.

I have an one goal on my mind: to offer some answers to people.

This forum is great enough and has great impact factor.

There is one thing I do not like, fanatics who just keep their positions to the end of the world.

Forum like this should be open for discussion.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I disagree. I think this forums are open to all. One thing you must keep in mind though is this the Official Support Forums for Eset, so it is just natural that alot of Eset users are going to be here. And no one likes seeing their product of choice spoken about in a negative way. Including me. I have seen some fairly heated discussions that have never been "wiped" as long as they stayed on topic. So again, I dont agree, but you are entitled to your thoughts.:)

21. Technic

Oh sorry. I have got wrong impression.

I am glad you cleared things out trjam.

22. lucas1985

Of course. The difference appears when someone can make solid arguments and others can not do that.
    If you have good intentions, you should choose the words more carefully.
    "NOD is far behind" is very different from, for example, "Antivir has a slightly better detection at this time"
    See that I'm not a NOD zealot.
    Well, at least we agree in these things.

I would like to clarify that this isn't a personal attack against you. I offer my apologies if you felt that.

23. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

So, after following this discussion from post #1, I have a question since many, if not the vast majority, seem to put a lot of credence in the latest AVC test.

Simply put, isn't that test really just a snapshot of how any particular AV s/w performs on the date of the test? In other words, how do we know the same product that received an ADVANCED "award" wouldn't receive ADVANCED+ within a week or two (perhaps less) after the test following an update by the vendor?

I mean, this actually happened with Avira about a year ago. In that test, Avira was rated ADVANCED yet in the test three months later it was rated ADVANCED+. We know the rating was upgraded in the next test (August 2006) but how do we know whether or not it would have been upgraded earlier if the test had been done after a program, definition, or whatever update?

Just curious, basically.

24. Technic

You cant know it. Just pick a one for you.

If you do not have time to read reviews. Just choose a random one.

25. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I already have. I chose NOD. I was just asking a simple question.

Further, and no offense intended, I believe it was you who stated NOD was far behind another product and that only begs the question......based on what? A test that is close to 3 months old? Again, another simple question for which, apparently, there is no rational answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.